PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 & 2009 Steering Wheel Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 09:34 AM
Default 2008 & 2009 Steering Wheel Swap

I have a 2008 that the leather is pretty much gone. Unfortunately the part number GM 25849064 is no longer available. However the part number for the 2009 (GM 25995626) is available. The parts guy said that according to his records, only '08 steering wheel is made for the '08 H2. I initially thought it's because in '09 there was steering wheel heat, and '08, there was not; however I've learned that there are '09 steering wheels without heat GM 25855588. So now it begs the question, what's the difference between 25995626 and 25849064 if neither have steering wheel heat?

Also, is it possible to make an upgrade to an '09 steering wheel with heat for the '08 truck? According to a Chevy forum it might seem possible:

"Anyway the SIR Coil will be the same with the exception of one additional green plug, in which houses the power and ground wire for the Heated Steering Wheel Part....I basically just went to the Electical Center, which hides on the firewall, behind the E-Brake Pedal....once there I found a Switched Ignition Source and then I grounded out the ground wire on a bolt somewhere underneath the dash.

It does not require BCM Reprogramming, at least my 07 Didn't...and I don't think the 09 will either....its just simply a Power/Ground Wire....

Again this mod can only been done on 1500 Model Trucks as far as I know at the current moment....this is because the 1500/2500 trucks have different SIR Coils, due to Dual Stage Air Bags in the 1500's vs the Single Stage Air Bags in the 2500's.....this Heated Steering SIR Coil is for the Dual Stage Air Bag Trucks."

Part number for 2009 H2 coil is GM 25976010 and 2009 H2 Steering Wheel with heat is GM 25995626

Anyone have any personal insight on this?

Last edited by clsimmon; 06-27-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:36 AM

You should be able to use any steering wheel from any GM truck or SUV from 2008 to 2013. As long as they look the same, it will work perfectly fine. You would use your same airbag you have now (unless you want the emblem to be Chevy, GMC, or Cadillac instead. The replacement wheel does not even need the steering wheel controls, you can transfer those from your current wheel.

As far as the heated wheel option goes. Yes you would need a different clock spring (SIR coil) that has the additional connector as well as the other part of the wiring that goes from the steering column to where ever it is that it connects and than hope that your BCM already has the programming for it.
Personally - I'd go for it and make it work somehow or another. Worst case it just would not heat up...

Personally - I'd also use the opportunity to upgrade to a nicer trim level wheel too. The Escalades and Denali trucks have nice wood trim too. I put a wood and leather 2006 Escalade wheel in my 2003 - love it.

A lot of sellers will only list years they can confirm are compatible and they are often incorrect. I'd double check on some of the GM truck forums but I'd think any 2007 through 2014 would fit. Catch is the first and last years might be the older or even newer style as they are transition years bu tin general, if the wheel is physically identical (aside from the colors/finish) than it should work just fine.

One example... https://www.ebay.com/itm/254213237857 - not the greatest condition with the wear at the bottom...
Brand new one https://www.ebay.com/itm/283303181525

Brand new ones will generally be a good bit more but with patience you can find near perfect used ones.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
You should be able to use any steering wheel from any GM truck or SUV from 2008 to 2013. As long as they look the same, it will work perfectly fine. You would use your same airbag you have now (unless you want the emblem to be Chevy, GMC, or Cadillac instead. The replacement wheel does not even need the steering wheel controls, you can transfer those from your current wheel.

As far as the heated wheel option goes. Yes you would need a different clock spring (SIR coil) that has the additional connector as well as the other part of the wiring that goes from the steering column to where ever it is that it connects and than hope that your BCM already has the programming for it.
Personally - I'd go for it and make it work somehow or another. Worst case it just would not heat up...

Personally - I'd also use the opportunity to upgrade to a nicer trim level wheel too. The Escalades and Denali trucks have nice wood trim too. I put a wood and leather 2006 Escalade wheel in my 2003 - love it.

A lot of sellers will only list years they can confirm are compatible and they are often incorrect. I'd double check on some of the GM truck forums but I'd think any 2007 through 2014 would fit. Catch is the first and last years might be the older or even newer style as they are transition years bu tin general, if the wheel is physically identical (aside from the colors/finish) than it should work just fine.

One example... https://www.ebay.com/itm/254213237857 - not the greatest condition with the wear at the bottom...
Brand new one https://www.ebay.com/itm/283303181525

Brand new ones will generally be a good bit more but with patience you can find near perfect used ones.
Mixmansc, you are knowledgeable about many things and I’m glad you are here but I don’t believe you about the Escalade steering wheel and I need pictures to confirm it! Not really but can we see it? Lol

Old 06-27-2019, 04:32 PM

Much nicer feel in the hands! Actually the one I put in my H2 is out of a GMC Envoy or possibly a Buick Rendezvous. Some have the extra chrome bits between the leather and wood on the mid size SUV's.. On the 03-07 model the mid size GM SUV wheels also fit. Not sure about on the newer ones. I do have an Escalade wheel in my GMC truck.

They come in a pretty wide variety of leather and wood colors as well. Depends on what it came out of and the trim level. Rendezvous, Trailblazer, Envoy, Suburban, Tahoe, Sierra, Escalade, Silverado, Yukon, etc...

As far as I'm aware, for both year ranges, as long as it is the identical style wheel, it will work. You use your existing airbag. Easy swap. The trick is finding the right one in excellent condition (or new which will cost a few hundred plus) and being sure of the colors and condition which is sometimes hard to be sure of from crappy pictures some sellers post.

Updated pic. I also bought a tan airbag as I've seem some H2's come from the factory with a black wheel with a tan airbag for a two tone look. Liked it so I got one and swapped my airbag too. I also prefer the original style embossed airbag versus the newer style with the stick on emblem (which I've seen missing on other before).

Last edited by MixManSC; 06-27-2019 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Changed pic