Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Shutoff Rear Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 03:33 PM

ok, I am going to do the same... I ma thinking Ill just remove it all... my setup is old, and rusted... I want to clean it all up... I will still get teh ARB twin with an eaternal tank and route it to that same location in the back. Ill find another idea for the buttons up front... if the plug and relay dont get it for me... I will go this route:

Arnott Installation Manual

Scroll down to the part that explains the Electronic Bypass Module Installation and it will explain how to disable the error message. You would no longer get power to the compressor after installing it.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:36 AM

As long as the Air Suspension Controller Module remains connected the BCU will constantly communicate with it so I'm guessing that coil-spring converstions modify the ride-height sensors to foil the controller into thinking the suspension is level.

If the AS Controller is diconnected, and the battery disconnected, when the BCU boots-up it will not detect the AS Controller and so assumes there isn't one hence the message goes away.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:59 AM

Makes sense to me. I didn’t have time to drive the H2 yesterday. But I did unplug the AS controller (big plug next to compressor). I started it up and saw the service air suspension. But then I disconnected the negative battery cable while I fooled with other things and once I came back I put the cable on and started it up and didn’t see the warning. So might be good as you stated. I’m just going to remove it all and free up a few pounds. I’ll have another project to install an ARB Twin compressor with an external tank (using the pump plate or fabricated bracket) in the future. This way it’s future proof, and lighter, and I still get onboard air. I don’t tow so I don’t care about the bags. I was going to remove the harness as well... but the best I can tell it’s all interwound with other things, so I’ll leave it (I guess this way someone could add it back if they wanted towing options down the road). I will also be removing the sensors to clean it all up. I’ll also repurpose the tow buttons on the dash for things that will be useful (no idea what yet).

More yo follow

Last edited by myrddin; 08-01-2018 at 06:03 AM.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:54 AM

The Tow/Haul button on the dash is unrelated. That modifies the transmission shift points. Do not remove that as that is still fully functional. The rear ride height button can be removed or re-purposed if you are totally removing the air suspension though. To re-purpose that button you would have to cut "some" of the wires to it. Probably keep the lighting wires if you still want it to light up with the dash lighting but cut the other wires to it. It is a very low current rated momentary switch though, so to use it for much of anything you will want to add a latching relay that will stay active on one press then deactivate on another press (or deactivate/reset on loss of power from ignition). There are different types of active latching relays that act in different ways for that sort of thing. I'm going to do the same for the (factory sort of - the switch replaces the rear wiper switch and comes out of a Tahoe with a rear wiper and fog lights) fog light switch I added to control the driving lights I replaced the semi-useless gigantic daytime running lights with.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:57 AM

Awesome info, thank you! I’ll do the research once I get it all out and cleaned up. I noticed the other day that a lot of the wires under the dash have T-Taps in them. So I’d like to understand that too. But that’s another project/thread all together.

Last edited by myrddin; 08-02-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:06 PM

Just a follow up... yes... if the relay is removed and the pump or unplugged the warning is gone. I’m going to remove the pump and will have a future project to install a ARB Tein with a tank... I’ll post the work when I get there.

Thank you you all for your help!

Old 08-04-2018, 10:26 AM

All gone (except the dash button... it’s next). Thank you all again for your help! Now I can get in and start cleaning the frame and install the ARB Twin air kit. My frame has a lot of surface rust. I want to get that cleaned up first.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:49 AM

Here is another thing you might consider..... I'm pretty sure that the factory buttons used on the right side of the dash on GM trucks and SUV's for 99-07 models will also snap into the same spots on our H2's in the vertical stack of buttons. This could give some alternative buttons that are still OEM and keep it looking stock. GM made them with a lot of different functions (including the key switch airbag one which should also fit). I think most are momentary though which means you would need to use a latching relay for most things unless you wanted to use one for an air horn or something. This is an example - https://www.ebay.com/itm/263081343255

That one has the full 4 position pod that comes in the trucks and suv's. It has a two position blank at the top where on many models the onstar buttons are. Each of the two lower ones can be popped out of that frame and individually be used. There were a lot of varieties of them that GM made but some were uncommon factory options like PTO, 4 wheel steer, aux lights (for snow plow packages), etc. The uncommon ones are hard to find. I just like things looking "stock" versus drilling a hole somewhere and sticking an obviously aftermarket switch in. You will notice once you pull the center stack trim off that those three buttons are the exact same shape as the airbag switch over to the right. The dash trim just covers the edges of them.

One good example. Many H2 owners add a switch just under the rear wiper **** for auxiliary lights. I got a rear wiper switch from a Tahoe. That also happens to have a factory fog light button under it. Just had to make sure to also get a bit of the harness with the plug so I could extract the extra pins with some wire to add to my stock plug which does not have the extra pins populated (the plug is the same, just has some unused holes for additional wires). I've also changed the lighting to red but instead of drilling a hole and sticking an obviously aftermarket switch there, it looks 100% stock. I still have not yet had the time to wire it fully up though. I was hoping the fog light function would be active in our BCM but so far a Tech2 does see the button being pushed but its not triggering the output (since an H2 never had stock fog lights). Not had time but I'm going to see about getting a different BCM out of an Escalade or something that has at least all of the same functions as my H2 but also came with other features to get it to work using the BCM instead of a latching relay (but a latching relay is also an option).

Old 08-04-2018, 12:26 PM

Hey buddy, this is brilliant. Exactly the kind of thought process I have. Make it look like a factory option. This will help me out once I get started. please feel free to share as your able.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Old 08-04-2018, 01:47 PM

I do also plan on modding the rear air ride system myself as well. I plan on keeping the air springs though. Replacing just those is not all that expensive. My plan is to replace the stock compressor, add an air tank, and have it so that I can still raise, lower the rear some but also have the ability to run air tools and an air horn. Obviously I'll have to bypass the factory air ride computer for that to work like I want though. In that scenario, a couple of non-factory switches will really be the only choice to control a couple of solenoids for raising/lowering the rear - another option would be a mechanical style actuator for the rear that just automatically maintains a specific ride height. Those work by the angle of the mechanical valve attached to the rear suspension. I have some experience with some of these setups from working on a lot of ambulances.... That is also why I have several air tanks, a couple of compressors, and a few air horns lying around to mess with.

Quick Reply: Shutoff Rear Compressor