Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Saving On Gas

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by hummer_on_fumes
Congrats on finally getting your 2! It is definitely a unique beast. Unless you have deep pockets, using it as a daily driver will be rough, for both gas and repairs. What I've done is get a very fuel efficient car for driving to work and unleash the Hummer on the weekends. As it ages, I find almost each time I drive it something else is wrong, and I barely drive it. Maybe it's my OCD but if something doesn't work on the truck I gotta make it work. My next project is taking my entire dash apart to replace an actuator and refurbish my climate control module. I don't trust any mechanics to be as meticulous or careful with taking apart my interior as I would be.
I now see why having a second vehicle is NEEDED when owning a Hummer. My husband has a 1993 Chevy Camaro Z28 in well need of repair. A Beauty! But will definitely keep up maintenance on my vehicle as much as possible.
Looks like I'll be driving my husband's Tahoe a little more for now on.
Thank You good sir!

Old 10-18-2018, 07:07 AM

Yup.... the most proven method to save gas in your H2 is to not drive it. lol With the weight of a tank and the aerodynamics of a box there is just not much to be done that will make any realistic difference. Keep tires inflated well. Around town, not much of anything will help. On interstates, about the best you can do is hope you are travelling with the wind, going downhill a lot, and keep it under 70.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:00 PM

Ive been hiding this for long time . Here is what save me a few mpg
get a strong neodymium magnet and attach it to the gas line under the vehicle. You need the stronger magnet available
Then put a chain on the rear tire .
lock the chain to something solid such as a fence or an electricity pole
buy a Prius and drive it every day .
while keeping your h2 locked
not only you save gas but also wont put any mileage on the truck
oh remember to remove the magnet. Is going to be fun

sorry I couldn't resisted . Really only way is to keep the tires psi and engine in good shape ( spark plugs, wires, maf ,air filter) still dont expect a huge difference

Old 10-18-2018, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
Yup.... the most proven method to save gas in your H2 is to not drive it. lol With the weight of a tank and the aerodynamics of a box there is just not much to be done that will make any realistic difference. Keep tires inflated well. Around town, not much of anything will help. On interstates, about the best you can do is hope you are travelling with the wind, going downhill a lot, and keep it under 70.
Basically Hummer is a sitting trophy lol. Just when I wanted to show off mine. Gosh darn it!

Old 10-18-2018, 06:12 PM

My recently bought 2005 H2 has been my daily ride for the past 2 months. I drive about 20 miles per day and about 60 on weekends and fill it up every 2 weeks or so...

I enjoy it immensely and I just refrain from thinking that driving my X5m would save me “some” money. Who cares! Driving my dream car comes at a price.

On a positive note, somewhat concerned about gas, I rarely speed in my H2 and drive less aggressively than in the X5. I feel cool 😎 driving a tamed beast!!

Old 10-18-2018, 09:29 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by HummerStorm
Hi all Hummerings! Question. How do you save on fuel at the pump? I've heard a lot solutions as to saving on gas. Really want to know as this will be my everyday vehicle. I even heard about someone spending $140 a week on gas.
All responses are welcome.
Thank You!
what state are you in ? my fever started in 2004 . got my first hummer in 2005 H3 i was in pennsylvania fast foward to this day 3 hummers and 4 states later i learned that you need to buy a gas saver for day to day driving ... im now in the los angeles area where gas is not cheap at all , I try to use chevron or shell cause i had notice that last me longer and i also learned to stop doing the math a few seconds before i pull up to the pump fill up and drive away fast and than allow my brain to return to his normal state :-) :-) :-) .....

Old 10-25-2018, 08:30 PM

What mpg are you getting btw? Mine will pull 8 mpg on a good day.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by AlphaSwag480
What mpg are you getting btw? Mine will pull 8 mpg on a good day.
I get 15 hwy and 8 city with a veeeery light foot...

Old 10-26-2018, 01:53 AM

Better yet H2 nothin why would you buy any 4wd with intentions of good gas mileage? The would be my first question as well. I get it trust me everyone wants to drive what the want and pay less at the Pump so I understand the basis of the question. Maybe your better option would be figure out how much you can afford each month in fuel and go off that or even buy a cheap H2 for off road or trips or whatever and buy you another cheap commuter however then you got INS on 2 vehicles lol catch 22 I know. Good luck with your decision! The obvious ways to try and help at the pump is stay with an AT instead of an MT and don't go up in Tire sizes and lay off the accelerator as much as possible. Slow roll towards red lights pray they change before you get there lol
Mudd