Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Removing fuel to drop the tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 11:29 AM
Default Removing fuel to drop the tank

IMPORTANT..... DO NOT . DO NOT . DO NOT TRY TO PUT A HOSE THRU THE FUEL DOOR (WHERE YOU FILL GAS)
is going to get stuck . There are 2 valves . The first one you see when filling gas and another one few inches below. Whatever you push down there is going to get stuck and really hard to remove

Instead disconnect the hose from the tank and remove the gas that way

I use this kit . Make sure to remove the brass tip to prevent to get it stuck inside the tank
Siphon Pro XL - Largest Siphon for Water - Gas - Diesel - See Video - It's a Pump or Siphon - Get Work Done Fast! 8' & Shut Off Clip - USA
Amazon Amazon

Pump gas directly from tank

A jack and 2 ratchet straps helps a lot to balance the tank weight

before drop the tank you must disconnect the filler hose and the vent hose
Then low the tank till there is enough clearance to disconnect the electric plugs
Remove the lines from the tracks
Then you may slowly low the tank to the floor
The lines are flexible . Much easier to disconnect once the tank is down

Rollover valves

I havent realized how to remove the hoses from the two blue (2006) rollover valves .these seems to be not serviceable so I rather to not mess with them .

Finally remove the pump . No need to remove the Blue valves . The lines are flexible enough to move the tank to the side . Removing the pump from the tank was a big headache No possible without enough clearance

To take the tank down only disconnect the filler hose , the vent which run next to the filler (squeeze the connector to disconnect)
the 2 lines connected to the pump ( press the white tab and pull out )
and a line up front the tank

Remove this line upfront the tank .pressing the white tab
and the 2 electric connectors

mission accomplished... mounting the tank up was easier. Again the 2 ratchet straps did a great work leveling the tank plus a jack in the middle
The Oem pump went out at 137k miles .

The job is not hard but a pain to be lay down on the floor under the truck guessing how to disconnect things

Last edited by H2Miami; 05-06-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:34 PM

the ratchet straps make a lot of sense...great add!

Old 05-14-2019, 12:08 PM

I’ve pulled the tank twice now to replace the fuel pumps and I have found it very helpful to remove the inner rear fender well on the left side. This allows you to unplug and test everything before dropping the tank. Hope this helps.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Blackbus
I’ve pulled the tank twice now to replace the fuel pumps and I have found it very helpful to remove the inner rear fender well on the left side. This allows you to unplug and test everything before dropping the tank. Hope this helps.
Thats a good idea. I tried but I didn't want to mess with the fender flares
Kind of pain with all the weird screws and clips

Old 04-09-2024, 08:42 PM
Default Diferent location of the fuel tank vapor vent pressure sensor

LOOKING AT THE LOCATION OF THE

Diferent location of the fuel tank vapor vent pressure sensor

Originally Posted by H2Miami
IMPORTANT..... DO NOT . DO NOT . DO NOT TRY TO PUT A HOSE THRU THE FUEL DOOR (WHERE YOU FILL GAS)
is going to get stuck . There are 2 valves . The first one you see when filling gas and another one few inches below. Whatever you push down there is going to get stuck and really hard to remove

Instead disconnect the hose from the tank and remove the gas that way

I use this kit . Make sure to remove the brass tip to prevent to get it stuck inside the tank
Siphon Pro XL - Largest Siphon for Water - Gas - Diesel - See Video - It's a Pump or Siphon - Get Work Done Fast! 8' & Shut Off Clip - USA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5D2XZQ..._XZptnZggxAGsj

Pump gas directly from tank

A jack and 2 ratchet straps helps a lot to balance the tank weight

before drop the tank you must disconnect the filler hose and the vent hose
Then low the tank till there is enough clearance to disconnect the electric plugs
Remove the lines from the tracks
Then you may slowly low the tank to the floor
The lines are flexible . Much easier to disconnect once the tank is down

Rollover valves

I havent realized how to remove the hoses from the two blue (2006) rollover valves .these seems to be not serviceable so I rather to not mess with them .

Finally remove the pump . No need to remove the Blue valves . The lines are flexible enough to move the tank to the side . Removing the pump from the tank was a big headache No possible without enough clearance

To take the tank down only disconnect the filler hose , the vent which run next to the filler (squeeze the connector to disconnect)
the 2 lines connected to the pump ( press the white tab and pull out )
and a line up front the tank

Remove this line upfront the tank .pressing the white tab
and the 2 electric connectors

mission accomplished... mounting the tank up was easier. Again the 2 ratchet straps did a great work leveling the tank plus a jack in the middle
The Oem pump went out at 137k miles .

The job is not hard but a pain to be lay down on the floor under the truck guessing how to disconnect things

Old 04-09-2024, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mamachurro16

Neither the blue or the red circles are the pressure sensor. From 2005 to 2009 the pressure sensor is built in to the fuel pump. What you've circled are tank venting ports for the EVAP lines.

Old 04-10-2024, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mamachurro16

FIVE YEAR OLD THREAD WARNING!

Please avoid doing this in the future. READ: Old Threads/'Necro-Bumping' Ask your question, link to the Old Thread if necessary.