Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

How the hell do you drain the fuel tank?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 02:43 PM
Default How the hell do you drain the fuel tank?

I just got done pulling the fill hose off of the tank and there is some kind of plug in the fill hole that will not let anything down in the tank to siphon? Now I'm stumped as to how I'm going to drain this thing to replace the pump.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:18 PM

Doesn't the entire pump assembly install from the top with a large lock ring? That's how my other GM trucks were. If that's the case there is no reason to technically drain the tank to install the pump.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:47 AM

Yes, but pulling the tank with 3/4 full of gas is going to be a little more difficult than if the tank was empty

Old 07-10-2014, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by ingydrummer
Yes, but pulling the tank with 3/4 full of gas is going to be a little more difficult than if the tank was empty
Put something under the tank to support it...

Old 07-10-2014, 07:01 AM

Pull the hose off where the filler neck joins the tank and stick a hose in there. 3/4 of a tank is a lot of fuel to have in a tank while dropping it.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:30 AM

calif phil, I did that but there is something in the neck that prevents anything to be inserted in the tank. I can't figure out what it is. It looks like some sort of back flow preventer.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:41 PM

its so no one can siphon fuel from your truck, you just have to support it right and lower it carefully, been there many times with my gm trucks, not fun but not that hard to do

Old 07-10-2014, 05:04 PM

Yes yoymon, I might have to bite the bullet and do that. I just wrote up another thread about jumping the fuel pump, but I can't seem to trick it into pumping. I have a direct hot and direct ground to it, but I must be missing something because its not turning on.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:41 PM

I thought the pump was bad...wont pump fuel..right?

Old 07-10-2014, 08:17 PM

yoymon, The pump still works, its just that the tubes coming out of the pump are all rusted and the one that feeds to the fuel filter before going to the fuel rail is the one that's leaking. So I pulled the line from the fuel filter that goes to the fuel rail and put a tube on it. I ran that tube to my fuel can in the hope's that it would pump all the gas out, but when I turn the key to the second position, it only pumps for a couple of seconds then stops. I'm thinking that there being no fuel pressure that the sensor is stopping the pump. I have to figure a way to trick the pump to keep pumping. This is the reason I ran a direct hot and ground right to the pump, but this is not working. I'm stumped now.

Last edited by ingydrummer; 07-10-2014 at 08:20 PM.

Quick Reply: How the hell do you drain the fuel tank?