Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Reconnecting door lock mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 09:01 PM
Default Reconnecting door lock mechanism

possibly weird question follows:
06 H2 with Viper security system. I left it at garage for service with just the key. Found out the next day that the key doesn’t work. Insert in lock and it just turns on both driver and passenger side. Only thr key fob opens the locks.

It seems the key locks were disabled. Is this common practice with a Viper security systems. Can I “re-enable” the key locks? If yes, how do I do this?

Thanks.

mark

Old 02-04-2019, 02:04 PM

I have no idea if disconnecting the door locks rods is common. Not something I've ever run across before and certainly nothing specifically to do with Viper security or remote start systems of which I've owned a few over the years.

Only way to fix it is to remove the door panels and see what is going on.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Albmark
possibly weird question follows:
06 H2 with Viper security system. I left it at garage for service with just the key. Found out the next day that the key doesn’t work. Insert in lock and it just turns on both driver and passenger side. Only thr key fob opens the locks.

It seems the key locks were disabled. Is this common practice with a Viper security systems. Can I “re-enable” the key locks? If yes, how do I do this?

Thanks.

mark
We've got viper security installed on our Escalade and the keys still work fine to unlock the doors manually. Whatever is going on I don't believe is related to the viper system being installed. I just looked at the owners manual for an 06 and didn't see anything about having the ability to disable the key locks

Old 02-04-2019, 07:49 PM

The only reason I could see is to reduce the change of someone "punching" the door or plastic buckets to actuate the lock rod and unlock the door. This was common in H2 break ins along with other GM trucks using plastic buckets. Back in the day some had removed the lock rod so there was nothing for a potential jackass to unlock the door with.