Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Current projects on my H2 looking for feedback

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 06:24 AM
Default Current projects on my H2 looking for feedback

Hey folks, I知 replacing my door handles on my 05 H2. I completed the rear today,and pulled the door panels off the front (no rush)... it痴 looking like I need to pull the glass to get the handles out, does that sound right?

Also my front door panels have the usual cracking right next to the handle... I知 considering adding some fiberglass mat in that area for reinforcement. Any thoughts? Have any of you done this before? I figure it would only make it stronger and protect it from getting worse.

Last... on this H2... it had the ignition replaced so my door key no longer matches. I知 wondering if I can take the two keys and have a lock smith cut them so they both work for the ignition and door lock cylinder. If needed I could take the door locks in with the keys (since I知 replacing the handle)... but I dont think I can take the ignition switch out.. have any of you done something like this? I have the serial number for the ignition switch, also wondering if the dealer would sell me the matching door lock cylinders? I just want them to match so one key works on all.

Thanks for any help.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:16 PM

They will not be able to make the keys works both. I'm not sure that the locks are really designed to be disassembled to repin them for different keys but maybe a locksmith can re-pin them. The ignition switch would probably be simpler to have repinned though. Best bet is to just stop by a local locksmith shop and ask.

As far as replacing the front door handles - you have to take the glass loose and you can sort of stick it out of the way with it still in the door. One warning - if you have tinted windows you will have pretty high chance of scratching the tint... I did on mine.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:57 PM

thanks man, you are always so helpful!... I will find out this week. I am also not against buying the matched locks from the dealership... seems like a possibility? I do have tinted windows... I am in no rush to do this... I may see if I can contort myself to get a gear wrench on them to get the handel out... unsure... I may have time tomorrow to look.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:24 PM

I tried when I put the billet handles on mine. That being said, if you are careful and aware of the window rubbing against things inside the door when you move it around to get the handle off, you should be able to prevent scratching it. It also appears other have been able to do it. https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...buckets-11619/

One last tip - you can find matched sets of locks on eBay for probably a third of what a stealership will charge you. OEM ones too. They are the same as used on the GM trucks.... Here is one specifically stated for an H2. I think the main difference is the tiny bit you see around the door locks is black.

Either way - IF you want the keys to match, get them now so you will not have to take the handles off again. The ignition cylinder is easy too. Plenty of youtube vids showing that on Silverado's, Tahoe's, etc.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:57 PM

Are you saying I may be able to find door lock cylinders that will match my ignition switch in ebay? Looking now.

I did see that walkthrough you linked me too. It痴 what has me thinking it痴 pissible. I知 not sure. I also noticed a YouTube video showing a guy removing the glass from the door all the way. It doesn稚 look too bad but I can see how things can get scoffed up.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:11 PM

Your right, looks like removing the ignition cylinder is pretty easy too

I wish I kney the original ignition cylinder part number so I could just get that or same for the door lock cylinders. Still researching this.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:47 PM

I did not move my glass when I installed my billet buckets and new handles in my rig. I removed the window track on the bucket side giving me just enough clearance to get the nuts loose. Don't get me wrong, it was a PITA and a lot of choice words were said but in the end I only removed the one track in each door. You'll have to get creative with tools and cramming your hand/arm in there but it is possible.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:27 PM

Thanks buddy... I知 going to at least see it it痴 possible for me to do tomorrow. I値l post back. I知 in no rush, so I can walk away if I get aggravated.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:15 PM

The front handles are easier to remove if you remove the glass first, which is not that difficult once you have the door panel off. If I recall correctly you do not have to remove the glass on the rear as GM allowed for a port opening to get a socket to those buckets.

With regards to the locks; you are much better off to replace your ignition switch vs. your buckets because you can re-key the ignition switch yourself: AC/Delco D1469G

With regards to the door panels, they are made of ABS, so I'd recommend welding the panels. If you are not comfortable doing this, then rough the inside and use Devcon 22045 plastic welder. We are rebuilding these panels for those that live in Texas. We can do them from anywhere, but the shipping at over $100 1-way doesn't make it very economical.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:18 AM

Thank you Clsimmon! This is great feedback. I値l try to locate the parts your referring me to. I wish I were closer to you.

Thank you you all for the info.