PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price on Brake Job

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 07:27 PM
Default Price on Brake Job

I am in North Carolina - I wanted to get an opinion on the costs to replacing the brake (hard) lines. I purchased my calipers, rotors, pads, and soft lines and found a mechanic that quoted me on the phone for $600 hundred to replace the hard lines and another $375 to replace the other components. Once I got the truck to him and dropped it off, I get a call - when I am over 2 hours away that he was sending me an estimate and I would need to approve it before he started work. So he literally increased the price by $800 - when I supplied everything except the hard lines. I realize this dishonesty seems to be commonplace for having a Hummer but wanted to check what others have been paying. Long story short, I was pretty angry and asked another shop down the road if they could do it for less - another aggravating experience - sure $300 less but they are buddies - so he increases the price once he has it in his shop - with a catch, they won't remove the old lines, they are going to zippy tie the new lines to the old. Frustrated I am having them do the work - but that seems highly unethical. The shop owner tells me that they would need to remove the entire cab off to get to the lines - that it was too difficult to do. Incompetent liars to get me in the door. My lines have rust and I need them replaced so regardless of the shoddy expensive job I have no choice. Does anyone know of good mechanics in the coastal region of NC or VA? .

Old 03-20-2019, 08:57 PM

The reason for the price increase is probably because it is worse than they expected. When dealing with rust sometimes it's worse than expected. That's my experience as a full time mechanic. Another thing to note, it is probably pretty hard to replace those metal lines. I havent done lines on a hummer but I have on a few other vehicles and it's not fun. I figure those lines go in some small places which makes replacement difficult. The important part is that they called you before they did the work. I can image that it would be anywhere near $1000 to do the hard lines. $375 seems fair for the other part. Just my two sense

Old 03-21-2019, 11:07 AM

Agreed, it is quite likely the brake lines are installed onto clips on the frame before the body is installed. Looking at the dealer service info system, it does not even show information on the replacing the hard lines, only cutting out a bad section and replacing a bad section but nothing on attempting the remove or replace the entire hard lines.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:39 AM

Rust on brake lines is not a big deal. If it is causing fluid to leak then that section of the line needs to be replaced. If the leak is in a difficult place then they may need to run a new line next to the old one. I feel you have given them a near impossible task without disassembling the whole vehicle.
If you dont have any leaks then just paint the lines so the rust doesn't get worse and you should be ok for a long time. They dont seem to dishonest to me. Go to a GM dealer and ask them, maybe they can give you some insite on what it takes to replace lines like that.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:36 PM

Agreed with the guys above. If the lines are that bad I would just run new ones and make it look at close to factory as possible. Rip out the old ones, cut them into pieces or whatever else it takes to get them out.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:39 AM

My buddy is a mechanic.
He said replacing brake lines on a 2007 and older H2 is a $1,000 job.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:49 PM

I agree with everyone above. Had my lines blow out 2 winters ago. Had to take the ditch to avoid running over a familybin a Corolla. Not fun.

I too was pissed when my mechanic told me he couldnt remove all of the old lines. He had it on the hoist and showed me how nasty it was to access them. Body would have to be separated from chassis. He removed what he could get at. Now i also have a visible new to old line zip tied. The job cost $1000 cdn. He also installed volvo lines (not pre fab) as they are apparently better material and will last forever.

The phone call you dont want is that the nipple on the abs pump snapped when the mechanic was removing the old lines. It is under the drivers floor and they are hummer specific. ( as per my mechanic). $1600 new. Rare used. Took us two days of calling wreckers to find one that was good. 3hr drive to get it and still cost $500.

It is hard to find a good mechanic anywhere. When you do there is usually a short 3-5 year window. 1st 3years really good. But as their name gets out. They're business grows fast. Now they cant keep up and they hire help. Thats when they cant maintain the quality service they once could. Thats when I move on. Usually dont let anyone touch my vehicles unless absolutely necessary. Brake lines is one of those jobs. I fabbed the lines on my jeep and it was a fun project but i had the body off and nice clean frame to work on.

Nowadays anytime any of my vehicles leave a garage for under $1500. Its a good day.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:25 PM

I live in coastal Va. and I am sure there are some mechanics that could do the job but I wanted to do it myself to make sure everything I wanted done was done as well as possible. I removed all of my brake lines and replaced them with NiCopp lines that I bent to go back in the same locations. I did not remove the cab and I did not leave any of the old line. It took several days of my labor but the end result is what I wanted. Good luck!

Old 03-28-2019, 05:20 PM

had mine done in 2013. Bought a preformed kit from Classic Tube, Stainless lines... $ 469. Labor was about $500. All old lines removed.