Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Performance Air Intake Systems

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 06:33 PM

All so true wrong rig to be worrying about MPG's, opening up the intake and exhaust changing the timing etc increases the MPG's and HP's. But the biggest gain I see in averaged MPG's is keeping my foot out of it which is negating the need for HP and Hypo parts in the first place. But even with that all said it's still fun as hell to do it each and every time I get a new rig to play with.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:18 PM

Ditto what i said before. This filter is not about performance but losing power due to lack of air flow
I would like to hear a report from someone using the oiled which is supposed to perform better

Old 11-04-2014, 11:21 PM

Well I splurged and bought an AirDoc. Tired of seeing the "Seagull" in my engine compartment lol. That will mate up with my Volant box which I do use the oiled Volant filter and prefilter.

I will say, when I change my oil and clean/re-oil my air filter I can definitely feel a difference in performance. It may not be much but the old girl definitely has more pep in her step lol. Curious if the AirDoc will change any of that. Will also give me a chance to clean the MAF and butterfly.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jsbihn
As for the airdoc, like LJ said... its just a tube. And an expensive one at that.... 185 dollars for something that is about 10 dollars worth of pipe and parts. This is not an intake. Its just a baffle replacement system.
Personally when I get the chance I am going to make my own intake. I figure it might cause me about 75 bucks and be the same concept as the volant box, the K&N filter and the airdoc tube

I figure if I am going drop 185 bucks on my rig it will be added to more money and get a set of gears
Spoken like a true rocket scientist.

Have you price silicone couplers made in the USA? How about all SS T Bolt clamps from Clampco? Typical cheapskate attitude with opinion. A single clamp or coupler is more than $10.

All you need to have at least 3.5" 16Ga. capacity CNC mandrel pipe bender which you can probably pick up used for about a hundred grand. Of course you have to have a shop to put the bender in, its only as big as a truck. Maybe you could just knock on Wolfe Aircraft's door an ask if they want to halt production to bend you up a couple sample "tubes".

Any clue what flow bench time is going for? It would be required so you can actually figure out how to tune your "tube".... that is if you were using tube instead of pipe.

Then you can pay for some dyno time and see which design actually performs the best.

Then again, you could probably affix a Pringles can with duct tape from point A to point B and slap a Chinese cone filter on the end and call it an intake.

Please do fill us in when you develop your $75 tube intake system, I'm sure it will be a true jewel.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:39 PM

OK, I would retract that original old statement of mine regarding the AirDoc. I used to think the same thing about the price of a steel tube.

Then I realized the other parts included, SS T-bolt clamps and high quality silicone couplers. I have bought both in the past for my Volant box and know how expensive those parts can get. If you added those parts to the price of say the AirRaid tube you would send more money.

Also once the AirDoc arrived I was very surprised at the quality of the parts and the tube. I would definitely recommend it as it looks completely badass! I'll be posting pics soon after I fully modify the tube to fit with my Volant.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Spoken like a true rocket scientist.

Have you price silicone couplers made in the USA? How about all SS T Bolt clamps from Clampco? Typical cheapskate attitude with opinion. A single clamp or coupler is more than $10.

All you need to have at least 3.5" 16Ga. capacity CNC mandrel pipe bender which you can probably pick up used for about a hundred grand. Of course you have to have a shop to put the bender in, its only as big as a truck. Maybe you could just knock on Wolfe Aircraft's door an ask if they want to halt production to bend you up a couple sample "tubes".

Any clue what flow bench time is going for? It would be required so you can actually figure out how to tune your "tube".... that is if you were using tube instead of pipe.

Then you can pay for some dyno time and see which design actually performs the best.

Then again, you could probably affix a Pringles can with duct tape from point A to point B and slap a Chinese cone filter on the end and call it an intake.

Please do fill us in when you develop your $75 tube intake system, I'm sure it will be a true jewel.
Wow dont hide your feelings.
Sorry if this particular post hurt your feeling since it definitely wasnt meant to be aimed at you

Ok lets try this.
Tell me why you need t-bolt clamps? Tell me why you need silicone couplings? Tell me why you need mandrel bending? Tell me why you need flow testing?
Doc, all the answer you can give I can with a simple "you dont need that". The money is better spent somewhere else.
If you are going to over build something, over build the internal of a working engine, not some bolt on product.

I can almost guarantee that you buy all the expensive parts, and I build mine and you will see maybe 1-2 hp difference. Personally I dont think spending an extra 100-200 dollars is worth 1-2 hp.

BTW, it isnt "cheapskate"... it is practical. Just because we have an expensive vehicle doesnt mean that you need to spend more on it.

PS it isnt about being a rocket scientist... but it is about building custom cars and race cars for probably the last 20 years (both as a hobby and as a professional)

(just curious.... do you own a Vette? (only asking since I do also))

Old 11-08-2014, 09:12 PM

JEEZ, i SHOULD have known ya'll were Vette Guys! VIPERS RULE! Lol!

Old 11-09-2014, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by mattdillon
JEEZ, i SHOULD have known ya'll were Vette Guys! VIPERS RULE! Lol!

Now, let's not start with the Vette snipes or next thing you know we'll have the 9mm VS .45 Debate going on.

In my opinion adding quality parts is not a waste of money for even 1-2 HP on any vehicle. Is it maybe getting less return for the investment versus other upgrades? Meh, probably... if all you want is HP, NOS is probably the best investment. But that does that mean a shiny new free flowing slightly cooler open tube intake is waste of money and not better than a restrictive heat retaining stock plastic intake because you only get 2 HP more than stock. Not if I can say I have 320 HP when the other guys has 318.

And really? Comparing H2 performance upgrade options and practices to a Vette is useless. The H2 was not purpose built as a performance vehicle. Vettes are factory assembled from hand picked specifically designed components and built with parts from manufacturers like Bilstein, Brembo, Hurst and so on. The HP returns on a vehicle like a Vette or a Viper are minimal on aftermarket parts because the after market already had a go when they made the stock parts in the first place... just sayin

Old 11-09-2014, 03:56 PM

Ant,
I think you missed the purpose of what was posted
1st - I think Matt was just playing around
2nd - I made a comment about Vettes because I have had many of discussion on the Vette forums with people that believe that they should just empty out their wallets just because it is going on a Vette and thats all their reasoning is.
3rd - The comments werent made to say lets compare Hummers to Vettes, it was just made to say that no matter what... you dont need those things all those things and even on performance vehicles
4th - Personally I would rather say I make 318 hp and have hundreds of saved dollars in my pocket then say I have 320 and dont have any money in my pocket. But no matter what.... 318 hp versus 320 will not do anything different on a track or in the woods.

All that is being said is you dont have to spend gobs of money to get performance.
If anyone remembers back to when hot rodding actually started.... they didnt spend lots of money. They just drilled out something, or opened something up, or adjusted something, or swapped something.
There were no bench flow testing, no mandrel bent exhausts or intakes... There was nothing.

Guys dont get me wrong, if you want to spend the money on something pretty thats fine, just understand thats all your paying for.... pretty.
The reason were tend to get more power from an intake is not from mandrel bending, or coatings or anything.... its because you too away the restriction. Same for exhausts.

Anyways, thats my .02 cents.
(which I guess is me being a cheapskate rocket scientist) :-P

Old 11-09-2014, 06:27 PM

Ok boys lets take a chillass pill . Like my tennege daughter would said

OE post was about lossing MPG against supposed performance

While everyone likes to get the most HP I think it is ridiculous to lose 1-2 mpg in a truck which already is a gas guzzle to gain a little power umless you need it for towing or climbing rocks

In my case I need those mpg mpg than hp .

Now talking about the Airdoc .. I really wants to get it . Mostly cause it looks great to get rid of the bulky oem
intake, plus hear the sound is great . I dont expect a big gain in mpg but either want to loose a 0.1 point . I think the price is fair when you compared with any other truck parts

I just came back from the fl keys (400 miles) and With a 3000 miles trip coming any performance in general that cost me $ tru my gas tank is not good for me

Last edited by H2Miami; 11-09-2014 at 06:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Performance Air Intake Systems