Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Performance Air Intake Systems

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 12:09 PM

Airdoc is great and I've been wanting one for some time but it is not an intake, it is only the tube. Would look killer though paired up with my Volant box!

Old 09-18-2014, 08:17 PM

Got me a K & N FIPK CAI, love the sound/growl that comes from it, especially when you "stomp" down on the gas; scared/startle a few drivers (if I am side by side on the highway and then "stomp" down on the gas). Noticeable HP gain, not sure but feels like it, does it save me gas, haven't really notice, it still average 11.5 to 12.0. My DD, 50 miles a day.

Dan

Old 09-22-2014, 06:28 PM

Still... got that problem with it being hard to get a good idea of fuel savings with all that stomping down the accelerator to hear the growl!

Old 09-25-2014, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by ant69
Still... got that problem with it being hard to get a good idea of fuel savings with all that stomping down the accelerator to hear the growl!
True, but I didn't buy my Hummer for the gas mileage...trip home to work or work to home...25 miles each way, 20 miles of that is I-35 (65 - 70) to Hwy 190, once on Hwy 190...speed limit is 75 mph...average speed on this stretch of road..70 - 85 hwy, but you do have the occasionally slow ones..but again, I didn't buy it for the gas mileage..if I did I would have brought a Prius

Dan

Old 09-25-2014, 11:42 PM

I been never concerned about MPG but this summer spent about 3000 miles on trips to Fl keys . Planning another 3000 for a winter road trip . So that 1 extra mpg would be greatly appreciated .
Also another reason to spend a few bucks on the truck without feeling guilty ...

Me: NO Im not obsessed with the truck . Im just spending the money on perform to save some money on gas

Her : OH ok ( yeah right)

Old 09-26-2014, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by ant69

Thats because their is no fuel savings. More power = more fuel consumption.

Over the years I have installed soooo many CAI's, cat backs, tunes etc. NONE of it results in better mpg, none of it. Its all marketing to attach "increase fuel milage" to any product because they understand everyone wants increase mpg, I was looking at wax's the other day at a local auto part store and one of the claims on the bottle was mpg increase - get the point. LOL

They only item I have noticed mpg gains from was changing all drive line fluids to synthetic, but in order to verify you would almost have to drive the same route the same way between multiply tanks of gas to verify...

Old 10-30-2014, 10:33 PM

what ant69 said! I have the MagnaFlow & just had a Tune last week on my 08' & WOW! I NEVER thought a Big Box H2 could Ever run like this (but he did tell me that while it would increase my HP & torque they haven't really seen any improvement in MPG but mine is the first 6.2 he's done)! I even ended up taking off my spare tire & arm off the back just to take off the Extra weight & it feels sooooo much Lighter! Now, i just wonder if the Doc could add even more!

Last edited by mattdillon; 10-30-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:54 PM

OK I agree with all that about porwer , etc ... BUT WAIT .. The filter didnt bring any perform or extra power/HP .. In fact the truck feels much slower and lazy , you may even hear it gasping for air .

Check the pic I got from Airaid web .. Maybe in a LAB the air flow is slightly better than OEM which is not the case in the HUmmer
When the filter is placed in the stock box the bottom laid on the box or at least really close which limit the air flow just to the sides and top . Filter loose all the flow on the bottom side

When compared to the oiled then you may feel the power as the LAb test air flow is incredible better but the dry is not worth it at all
Im pretty sure the dMPG drop is due to a lack of air and not a super extra power

Simple MAth ... You need Power then with the amount you are saving in gas keeping the OM filter you will be able to buy and install a Supercharge in 2 years

Wish someone do an air flow and a HP test test for this filter in a H2 ...

BTW .. Question: arent the H2 tranny TC and Diff OEM Synthetic flluids ?.

Last edited by H2Miami; 10-30-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:55 PM

ak47, that's EXACTLY the same thing i've Always Heard! You'd think they could come up with something, Anything to maybe give us an Extra mile or two better gas mileage but i just don't think its out there yet! But, IF you're worried about gas mileage you bought the Wrong vehicle to start with, but it would be NICE to get it up to 14-15 MPG! I have a Trophy & Awards Business & bought mine to carry A LOT of Trophies & mine rides like a Luxury Car (hard to beat it on a long trip) OTHER than the MPG its GREAT!

Old 11-01-2014, 07:22 AM

Ok guys lets think about all this for a second.
Intakes create power... but how?
They introduce more air into the engine then the engine was originally setup to receive.
Not so basically saying... the rigs computer is design to inject so much fuel at so many rpms and so much load with the precalculated factory setting with this also being adjusted by the amount of air coming in...

But now you are changing the setting basically when putting on an intake. More air means a leaner mix which means more power. But will it save gas? It could. How? Because the engine is more efficient now. Bigger bang in the engine with less fuel. Ok, so will you see a huge savings in your wallet... probably not unless you get out an electron microscope and really go looking. But like Miami said every 1 mile an hour counts.
Remember that for the most part, all an intake does is filter the air.
Look at the big race cars out there.... do they have intakes? No. They are basically open straight to air, ok maybe they might have a screen to catch bugs and such, but still no intake. But then again these cars get rebuilt constantly. So I would say unless you want do lots of rebuilds, filter out the mess.
So really the filter just keeps the engine from running at max power and then you add in all those stupid baffles from the factory....
Get a better or more efficient filter.... the engine can run closer to max power

Of course, now you want to balance out the power coming in so you reprogram the computer... and suddenly the computer matches up the air to the fuel and you have more power. And again it is more efficient and so it helps with gas mileage. With you see it with your instant econ.... again probably not much.

Now you dump the exhaust which helps the engine get rid of all that extra power.... and now it is breathing easier and so suddenly you see more power. The funny thing is people thing these things add power to your vehicle... they dont. They just release the power the car already had. Remember every engine has a max potential. When you have reached that then you have to start putting on power adders like SC's and turbo. All the bolt on stuff just helps you get to the max potential that was surpressed by the factory. Remember most of the things that rob us of our max power potential is things that the factory does to keep the car quiet or tolerable to the normal person. For us... well I guess we dont care so we rip strip and replace to improve.

As for the airdoc, like LJ said... its just a tube. And an expensive one at that.... 185 dollars for something that is about 10 dollars worth of pipe and parts. This is not an intake. Its just a baffle replacement system.
Personally when I get the chance I am going to make my own intake. I figure it might cause me about 75 bucks and be the same concept as the volant box, the K&N filter and the airdoc tube

I figure if I am going drop 185 bucks on my rig it will be added to more money and get a set of gears

Last edited by jsbihn; 11-01-2014 at 07:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Performance Air Intake Systems