Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

New Member and needing to identify a part

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 03:30 PM
Default New Member and needing to identify a part

Hello all,

I am a new member, and also very green, so bear with me. Can anyone tell me what this part that is rusted through is called? Is it a heat shield? It is located behind the wheel well in the front.
I apologize in advance if this was not the correct forum to ask this question.

Thank you

Notice the two bolt connections are rusted through

Old 07-31-2020, 04:15 PM

Its the exhaust heat shield. Probably no big deal but if it's that rusty, check everything else especially the frame and brake lines.

Tim

Old 07-31-2020, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by tharber
Its the exhaust heat shield. Probably no big deal but if it's that rusty, check everything else especially the frame and brake lines.

Tim

Thank you so much. I anticipate more rust when I get under there. Determined to save myself a bunch and try to do it myself. Heck, how hard can it be? (Famous last words)

Thanks again!

Old 07-31-2020, 06:15 PM

Look at the bolts that hold the manifold to the engine (heads)- especially at the back toward the firewall. If you open the hood and look at them you may see some missing to the back- if so, you can buy the manifolds w/shields and correct the broken studs... its a job but needs to be done. I would bet you have at least one broken.....You can buy the Dorman manifolds fairly cheap - i want to say off top of my head under $75 each new on amazon....

Old 07-31-2020, 08:03 PM

Thanks so much Chrmr. Will take a look at that too. There’s a whole lot of rust on the passenger side underneath, so I may be looking at a host of issues. Driver side doesn’t seem to be as bad.