Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

How do I remove this from the Fuel Tank??

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 07:11 PM
mcu
Default How do I remove this from the Fuel Tank??

Changing the fuel pump and managed to get the tank dropped but i have two of these blue things on the tank. How do I disconnect them so i can remove the tank from under the truck and get it washed since there must be rust in it from the rotted out fuel pump?

Old 07-26-2020, 07:38 PM

is the other end at the charcoal canister disconnected? i don't think those need removal

Old 07-26-2020, 07:44 PM
mcu

no the other side goes to a T which has a pipe to the 2nd blue thing on the tank. there are no connectors...just a plastic line and so tight its almost if it was heat shrunk. not sure if glued. I should of taken a pic of it, but now it's dark here. It's on a 2007 H2 w/ 6.0L

Old 07-26-2020, 08:45 PM

ok then follow it to the charcoal canister and disconnect it there. those plastic line are fused to the vent caps from factory.

Last edited by bronxteck; 07-26-2020 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:03 AM
mcu

I followed it to this big rectangular box, which I am guessing is the vapour canister? It's the fitting on the right. Quick question...how do i get it out? is that a push connector or need special tool? I am always paranoid to break these and electrical connectors.

Should I change the vapour canister, vent solenoid or purge solenoid every so many miles or with a fuel pump change?

Thanks again!

Old 07-27-2020, 03:38 PM

usually you push in a bit then squeeze the 2 tabs and pull off the connector. ( can be a hell of a b1tch or can go smooth as silk )
you will not know if you need to replace any of that evap system until you resolve the hole in the pump.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:11 PM
mcu

Got the tank out...thanks for the help. Now I can’t get the damn o ring off. Been at it for almost an hour and won’t budge. The rust has welded itself. Any ideas??
once off I will empty the fuel left and clean tank with water?

is your frame as rusted as mine...been debating using a rust converter or sand blasting

Old 07-28-2020, 12:24 PM

last time i was under the truck i had 12 pounds of truck on the floor LOL. went in with a ball peen dead blow hammer and chisel. and some grinding flap discs. i could have done a lot better if i had a needle scaler. then used black rustoleum with a brush. used a spray can wherever i could not reach. i found that wire wheels only polished the rust but did not remove the scale. i did treat with rust converter.
have you soaked the ring with penetrent? look at some of the gm truck fuel pump removal videos on youtube. it should give you an idea some cut the lock ring then get a new one.
also that is why they charge so much to replace the pump. as you see an hour can go in the blink of an eye.

Old 07-28-2020, 02:43 PM
mcu

Getting the tank off was a piece of cake. The rust has killed me! This damn Lock ring and two rotted pipes have taken me hours and still not done. I soaked them but nothing. I was able to get one off but the plastic collar came out with it. It was fused to the metal line. So is that feed line scrap now or a way to repair the connector?
This one is $120 at Rockauto. The other one is really stressing me because its connecting to the entire fuel tank feed. I've tried it all and running out of ideas. Even a bolt inside the pipe and was not able to budge

FUEL LINE

O-RINGS AND COLLAR BONDED TO PIPE

MISSING O-RING AND COLLAR

FITTING LEFT ON TANK WITH ROTTED PIPE

ROTTEN PIPE IN FITTING

Old 07-28-2020, 03:17 PM

i don't know how accessible really hot water is to you but you might get the plastic to expand a bit. enough to free the piece of pipe. the next solution would be to try crush it a bit without mangeling the plastic or its insert. get that wrong and its new pipes.although they do sell repair kits but i do not know how well that would turn out. it requires to reuse the plastic pipe. crush whats left in it get the debris all out then warm the plastic without melting the hose then press in the new fitting. being a fuel line i would not risk it popping off the pump under pressure.
i see you finally got the pump off. good job.

Last edited by bronxteck; 07-28-2020 at 03:20 PM.

Quick Reply: How do I remove this from the Fuel Tank??