Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

New Fuel System Control Module Programming With Tech 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2023, 05:05 PM

Good you got it going,
And really good the nano worked the first shot, the software is getting better as they develop it.

Neal

Old 03-03-2023, 09:16 AM

Some electrical contact cleaners may leave residues by their very nature and so can have indeterminate effects on circuitry.

IPA or Isopropyl Alcohol is a pretty safe cleaner and widely used in the electronics industry, it will completely evaporate, leave no residue and is non-conductive (in pure form)

Rubbing alcohol is the same but is quite often diluted down to 70%, 99% pure should still be OK

Always good to keep some on hand.

Old 03-03-2023, 04:45 PM

included in the tune file I pulled from my truck, was the PCM, TCM and FPCM, I licensed all three.
I haven't made any changes to the FPCM so not sure what's in there.
I'll look at it and see what I can get into,

Neal

Old 03-04-2023, 12:01 AM

No FSCM tune confirmed. Magnuson has some of the best customer service. Always willing to deal with my BS.😂

The contact cleaner I used was WD40 and it said leaves no residue and quick drying on the bottle. It looks like it was just alcohol and some r134a. Like I said I could see and smell a pool of alcohol sitting right there in the bottom when I first opened it😂 I’m surprised the truck ran at all.

The seal around the outside seemed to be completely in tact and the water definitely came through the connector. How can I ensure this doesn’t happen again? The sealing issue seems to be with the connector itself, either coming from the back of the pins or the rubber around the outside. How do I seal this up? Because I will definitely do more water crossings in the future where this thing is essentially submerged.

Old 03-04-2023, 06:03 AM

From Sidhu's video's, his PCB had worse corrosion concentrated around the lower region of the large CPU chip, this could be the low-point gravity-wise I suspect.

Generally your PCB looks in good shape, however there are a couple of points:-
  • It's hard to see, but it looks like there is something going on with a couple of pins on the main microcontroller chip. Counting "in" from the RH edge of bottom row of pins, positions 10 and 11 look shorted together with pin 10 possibly disconnected. It could just be just a slither of contamination but either way it's not good.

If pin 10 has been dislodged left-ways you could gently ease it back with a scapel-blade and if disconnected from the PCB it could be re-soldered, but that's ultrafine work. Hopefully it is just debris in the picture.
  • In the area bounded by red lines, there is a lot of contamination and this needs to be removed as it will short components and tracks together. Create a PCB brush by trimming-back a (new) small soft bristled brush, use IPA as it's 100% safe, cheap, non-conductive (and what the electronics industry uses) and very gently brush away ALL contamination wherever it may be (Sidhu is uses a bespoke PCB brush but it looks a bit hard to me) In particular the area in red should look as neat and clean as the top area of that chip with all the IC pins aligned, soldered, clean and intact. You can get specific PCB aerosol cleaners for this very job:-

Chemtronics ES896B Flux-Off No Clean Plus w/BrushClean 6oz Aerosol Chemtronics ES896B Flux-Off No Clean Plus w/BrushClean 6oz Aerosol

This sounds like a lot of work, but really it's not, the trick is not making things worse, it's akin to performing surgery or removing something from your eye.

Sidhu has just reposted his original video, so the original link no longer works.

If water is getting in around the connector pins it's hard to see how this can be prevented, the wired harness pins look to be sealed (as typical) however the empty positions look not to be, not 100% about this but you can check yours:-

Perhaps the empty pin positions could be degreased then sealed with automotive grade silicon sealer and I've heard mentioned using dielectric grease around the contacts (messy) perhaps hummerz can offer a better suggestion?

This is obviously a weakness/failure in the IP rating for this part.

Old 03-04-2023, 08:18 AM

I wanted to add this to the thread incase someone comes across it in the future,

I'm not able to find any information that is conclusive as to HP tuners ability to program a new FSCM,
On the forum HP will not say if it can or cannot,
When I pull my stock tune it includes the PCM, TCM and the FSCM and I have access to the parameters to modify them
When I flash the programming in the truck I have access to all three and can flash all three,
While I'm not sure on a new module I'm fairly confident that flashing a used module with the trucks program would be possible as I've been able to change the VIN on a used ECM to match what I wanted.

Neal

Old 03-07-2023, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by oceanbrave
From Sidhu's video's, his PCB had worse corrosion concentrated around the lower region of the large CPU chip, this could be the low-point gravity-wise I suspect.

Generally your PCB looks in good shape, however there are a couple of points:-
  • It's hard to see, but it looks like there is something going on with a couple of pins on the main microcontroller chip. Counting "in" from the RH edge of bottom row of pins, positions 10 and 11 look shorted together with pin 10 possibly disconnected. It could just be just a slither of contamination but either way it's not good.

If pin 10 has been dislodged left-ways you could gently ease it back with a scapel-blade and if disconnected from the PCB it could be re-soldered, but that's ultrafine work. Hopefully it is just debris in the picture.
  • In the area bounded by red lines, there is a lot of contamination and this needs to be removed as it will short components and tracks together. Create a PCB brush by trimming-back a (new) small soft bristled brush, use IPA as it's 100% safe, cheap, non-conductive (and what the electronics industry uses) and very gently brush away ALL contamination wherever it may be (Sidhu is uses a bespoke PCB brush but it looks a bit hard to me) In particular the area in red should look as neat and clean as the top area of that chip with all the IC pins aligned, soldered, clean and intact. You can get specific PCB aerosol cleaners for this very job:-

Chemtronics ES896B Flux-Off No Clean Plus w/BrushClean 6oz Aerosol

This sounds like a lot of work, but really it's not, the trick is not making things worse, it's akin to performing surgery or removing something from your eye.

Sidhu has just reposted his original video, so the original link no longer works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8J5-XsfN9c

If water is getting in around the connector pins it's hard to see how this can be prevented, the wired harness pins look to be sealed (as typical) however the empty positions look not to be, not 100% about this but you can check yours:-

Perhaps the empty pin positions could be degreased then sealed with automotive grade silicon sealer and I've heard mentioned using dielectric grease around the contacts (messy) perhaps hummerz can offer a better suggestion?

This is obviously a weakness/failure in the IP rating for this part.
Im going to try and fill the back with dielectric grease. You’d thing something that is this close to the ground would be more sealed. They did a good job sealing the rest of it but gave up on the connector. Inside the module where the pins go through the plastic could easily have been sealed. In fact, I may be able to do that myself… maybe with the old one after I clean it and keep it as a spare. I don’t want to f with the new one. Typical GM stupidity.