Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Nav Screen On And Off

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 10:27 PM
Cool Nav Screen On And Off

2009 HUMMER H2 4 Door SUV LUX.

Right now the NAV screen comes on and has been on for a while now. About 3 months ago I had the Battery changed out and they kept the power on to the Bat leads so I wouldn't lose memory. After the reconnect the NAV screen would not come on but the radio worked. It was just a black screen. Reverse screen would not come on and the H2 Start screen wouldn't come on when starting.

I checked fuses and banged on the dash and the sides of the radio panel thinking a connector came loose. Na-Da. Any way I gave up as it's was cold up here in South Joisey and I didn't feel like pulling the trim and the NAV/Radio. About a week later it started working and worked for about a month. Then one day I got in and hit the starter and no NAV screen again. So I decided to wait for warmer weather. Then about two day slater...Bam!! It came on again. It's been on now for a Month.

Sounds like an Oxidized connector in the rear or The NAV/Radio. Has anyone experienced this before with your NAV/Radio??

Last edited by Mark R; 03-23-2022 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:34 PM

Sorry..Posted in Wrong Location.. Was not aware of tech section. Mod..Please move as needed. Thanks. Mark R

Old 03-24-2022, 08:08 AM

Might be a bad connection in the rear as you say but might be a bad solder joint or something failing inside the radio itself. Only way to know is to pull it out and inspect the connections first. With the other functions still working though, my guess is something internal to the unit. Searching online for the same issue in full size GM trucks and SUV's (Silverado, Sierra, Tahoe, Yukon, etc) of the same years might find you more who have had the same issue as those vehicles are far more common and use the same system.

Old 03-24-2022, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
Might be a bad connection in the rear as you say but might be a bad solder joint or something failing inside the radio itself. Only way to know is to pull it out and inspect the connections first. With the other functions still working though, my guess is something internal to the unit. Searching online for the same issue in full size GM trucks and SUV's (Silverado, Sierra, Tahoe, Yukon, etc) of the same years might find you more who have had the same issue as those vehicles are far more common and use the same system.
Thanks MixManSC...
Yep being in electronics I'm aware of Cold Solder Joints due to Crappy wave soldering at the time of Mfg. Just hoping that it's an oxidized connector. They mostly use tin flashed contacts in and around most items.I have found that some of the items in the H2 use gold plated contacts such as the armrest control area. I have had that unit out and apart. It's built by Bosh.

Good Idea on the search of other GM rides. I'll start googling. Thanks..

Old 03-26-2022, 11:58 AM

Asking the obvious, but did you disconnect the battery, and leave it disconnected for a few hours? To reset everything. You did not say,.....

Some will disconnect the battery, and cross the + and - cables to remove any capacitance.
Not recommending it as it can cause other issues, but if I already have other issues, I would do it.

Old 03-26-2022, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by finall
Asking the obvious, but did you disconnect the battery, and leave it disconnected for a few hours? To reset everything. You did not say,.....

Some will disconnect the battery, and cross the + and - cables to remove any capacitance.
Not recommending it as it can cause other issues, but if I already have other issues, I would do it.
Thanks Finall,
When The battery was disconnected jumpers were place on the Bat leads to the H2. The jumpers went to a Heavy Duty battery charger set at 12.5 Volts. No power was lost during the battery change. This was my third Battery since 2009 and we never had an issue with the NAV Screen going black when changing Bat's before.

Anyway..I have to pull the trim around the NAV/Radio and Climate Control Module as I am changing out the face on the Climate Control Module. So While it's off I'll pull the NAV/Radio and Clean the Rear connectors with "DeOxit" D5. If it drops out again then I'll know it's inside the unit...(Cold Solder Joint Somewhere.)

Old 03-26-2022, 02:37 PM

So did you or did you not unplug the car battery to test for the problem?
That is the first thing I would do, as I already suggested.

I am saying that lack of action may be your actual problem.

Second possibility: Not sure you can actually keep the car on a charger without a battery, and not cause damage.
Some chargers, if the do not detect the battery state, can cause havoc with your electrical system.

What you are supposed to do, it plug in a 9V battery thru the cigarette lighter. Milliamps. That is it. Nothing more. Not some high amperage battery charger. Yikes!

You may have fried something.

Maybe @oceanbrave can chime in on this also. He has more electrical experience.

Old 03-26-2022, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by finall
So did you or did you not unplug the car battery to test for the problem?
That is the first thing I would do, as I already suggested.

I am saying that lack of action may be your actual problem.

Second possibility: Not sure you can actually keep the car on a charger without a battery, and not cause damage.
Some chargers, if the do not detect the battery state, can cause havoc with your electrical system.

What you are supposed to do, it plug in a 9V battery thru the cigarette lighter. Milliamps. That is it. Nothing more. Not some high amperage battery charger. Yikes!

You may have fried something.

Maybe @oceanbrave can chime in on this also. He has more electrical experience.

No... The battery was 6 years old and Lead Acid type. Winter was in full bloom. Did not want to have to wake up again with a Dead battery.. Time to go. ALso the Battery charger used was showing below 200 Mills Output to the battery. I'm aware of the 9 Volt thing. They make one for the ALDC which also uses a 9 volt.

Last edited by Mark R; 03-26-2022 at 06:15 PM.