Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Any Advice For Pulling The NAV/Radio From My 2009 H2?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 12:52 PM
Default Any Advice For Pulling The NAV/Radio From My 2009 H2?

Was just wondering since I'm pulling out the Climate Control Module to Change the faceplate, I thought I'd pull the NAV/Radio out ad hose down the connectors and sockets with DeOxit D-5 which is a contact enhancer. This is in response to the NAV screen going black a few times. Right now it's been working fine for a few months. Like they say ..."Don't fix it if it ain't broke" But while I'm in there I thought I'd give it a shot.

My question is..should I be concerned about disconnecting power and pulling the Radio fuse? With the key out of the ignition nothing should be energized with the exception of a small amount of power feeding the unit for the Clock and power up circuit. Any special precautions I should take?

Your Thoughts?

Old 03-27-2022, 07:52 PM

I've pulled mine multiple times with the battery connected and key off, never an issue.

Neal

Old 03-27-2022, 08:16 PM

If you disconnect the battery cable your good to go, this is the safest route, also, interesting you said the screen went dark, did the whole radio shutdown or was it simply the display, if it was the whole radio I might believe your plan on cleaning and spraying the connector might help, if it was strickly the display that checked out I don't think cleaning the radio connectors will do much for you. I had a similar problem with my 06 and it turned out to be a cable going to the LCD display internal to the radio.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by H2-SUT
If you disconnect the battery cable your good to go, this is the safest route, also, interesting you said the screen went dark, did the whole radio shutdown or was it simply the display, if it was the whole radio I might believe your plan on cleaning and spraying the connector might help, if it was strickly the display that checked out I don't think cleaning the radio connectors will do much for you. I had a similar problem with my 06 and it turned out to be a cable going to the LCD display internal to the radio.
Yep ..the radio still worked fine.. except no screen. I know that the display is attached by plastic ribbon cables into those funky circuit board connectors. Your right, it could be a loose or oxidized cable or connector or even a cold wave solder joint on the board. I would then imagine that the video for the display is developed behind the screen on that board attached to the screen and control panel.

This could also be weather and temperature induced. Like I said...It's been working fine now for a few months. I might just pass on pulling it out for now.

Here's a Video of a NAV/Radio which looks the same as the 2009 H2.. You can see as it it's taken apart that behind the screen is the main video board. Note the amount of ribbon connectors..Could be where the problem is. Anyway..might be a project for warmer weather or the next time it blacks out.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by legerwn
I've pulled mine multiple times with the battery connected and key off, never an issue.

Neal
Yep..that's what I have heard. Some Youtube Videos talk about resetting the system if you lose your gauge display and or driver door controls by disconnecting the battery ground and leaving it disconnected for a min of 1/2 hour. But just as you get ready to connect it you should have your key fob ready as it will set off the alarm when you connect the battery ground again.