PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Nav Screen went black WTF

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Default Nav Screen went black WTF

I have an 06 with a new Nav system. The lady I bought it from said she had put it in a year ago. While driving the other day I noticed the screen had went black! the radio and buttons work but the nav screen is not illuminated. When in radio mode I can touch the screen where the buttons are and it will switch my presets. I have opened the face and wiggled the wires and no dice. What a crock. I'm guessing I'm going to have to replace it as I havent seen any fixes when i search for this problem. What aftermarket nav systems do you guys recommend?

Old 08-02-2012, 06:36 PM

The blank screen has happened to a number of us
I solved my problem, which was the connector on the back of the head unit

Try this and read thru

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...-screen-24593/

and here

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...-update-26219/

Old 08-02-2012, 06:42 PM

Sorry about your bad experience with someone else. Did you ask why she was selling it?
Anyways, you have a short/burnt connection. Take it apart, look for a burnt spot, use a meter and check for continuity accross the board.. If you find a problem area, solder accross that connection, you may need to replace a resistor. You can find all sorts of information on google or youtube about repairing. If you don't want to bother with it, you can send it to me. I'll pay for shipping..

Old 08-03-2012, 05:28 PM

well I wouldnt say Ive had a lot of problems with it. She had already fixed the misfire problem and the truck was under an extended warranty. of course in the 10k miles Ive had her the airconditioner blower fan broke which i fixed from the diy on here and now this. I'm kind of afraid of what else is going to blow in the electrical sysytem. Reminds me of an old british made Triumph! Anyway I had read through those two links. Neither one really outlines too well whats going on. Is there a DIY with pictures showing how to remove the nav? I am able to get the face to pop off. I'm assuming the connectors they refer to are behind the Nav and you have to take it out. Thanks guys

Old 08-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Default Nav removal

Once you pull the trim around the center part of the dash which is just clips, pull with a little pressure, there are 4 screws that hold the Nav in. Mine blacks out and I have tried everything on here to fix it nothing worked. I have an 08 Alpha