Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Looking for SUT or a SUV but found this to be a bit odd.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 04:05 PM
Default Looking for SUT or a SUV but found this to be a bit odd.

Old 09-12-2022, 08:12 AM

kind of a loaded question with so many potential variables in it.

I think what you are seeing is just the first "metric" most used car buyers look at and thus one of the primary drivers of price regardless of other variables. Mileage at first glance is typically the first indication of how "used" the vehicle is and the assumption (often not correct) is that more miles, more abuse, and closer to those bigger issues.

You are also running up against "collectability" in lower mileage units. The H2 is starting to find its place in the collectable market and low mileage units are definitely commanding a premium, alongside 2008-9 model year units. In the case of mileage seems like anything sub 70s commands a premium that spikes as the number goes down. Heck I have seen many 30K or below commanding more than it did brand new these days.

Honestly though as mentioned mileage is a metric but it absolutely is not the only one, especially w H2s. I can't tell you how many "Northern" trucks I looked at that had decent mileage often below 100K that were rust buckets and in horrible shape under the covers. For me the biggest concern is not mileage but rust. If the engine is running and not tossing codes which can be checked fairly easily I would put more in to the underlying body and module conditions as mileage easily can mask all these far more serious issues.
I for one bought a 2003 with 118K miles. Northeast truck all its life but clearly garaged and serviced well thru its life and 90% serious rust free... Still had its challenges in those just unavoidable areas like the rear and brake lines. For me the mileage was secondary to rust, brakes, etc.

Mileage remains the tip of the spear and what sellers know walks the walk for many uninformed buyers so they leverage it as you are seeing in the post. In the end best advice, look at it as a whole. Sometimes easier said then done but never buy on emotion. Always get a second opinion if you have even a little concern about something especially these days were it seems any H2 part carries the Hummer premium that isn't fun anymore.

Last edited by H1H2; 09-12-2022 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-12-2022, 08:18 AM

Oh I should add use this forum to help. Take pictures, ask questions. Still many many informed owners active these days here and always willing to lend an opinion for better or worse balanced by most have lived it or living with it

Old 09-12-2022, 09:47 AM

H1H2- Thanks, I appreciate the info and the reinforcement of the quality over quantity in picking out a vehicle. I have one I am looking at now some 5 hours away but looks like I am walking away as I can not get salesman to give me pics of under or no date codes on tires. No dealer seems to care about tires life. We just bought wife a H2 SUV knowing the tires were 10 years old with 3/4 tread. Price paid reflected us buying new tires. They will be installed Wednesday.

I am trying to look at these from behind a keyboard as closest SUT is over 2.5 hours away. It gets so frustrating to see an 04 with 30,000 miles and you can see rust on running boards, shocks, I found one the other day that had rust on screws in plate for seat adjustments. Then engine bay looked like it had been flooded. Both trying to charge a premium for miles.

I guess what I am asking is the engine/transmission good to go for x miles.? Like I said I am fine doing small things, but really not looking to swap or break down engine in a year or so. I have redone several cars, just finished a 67 Camaro and a 04 Vette. All was easy mechanical and cosmetic. I would love to scoop up a 08 with 20,000 but not wanting to put $60,000 + in one. Lol

Old 09-12-2022, 10:24 AM

Again I don't believe there is one universal thought on engine and trans concerns. Honestly the 6.0 and 6.2 GM engines in the hummers are at this point pretty well vetted and some with a **** ton of miles on them and still going under proper car and feeding. Also widely used so parts and skill to work on them are abundant except for the Hummer specific bits. The trans may be were you will find some consensus with the 4 speed a concern if there is one and also why the 08-09 commands a premium on top of the low production #s.

If the engine blows look at it as an excuse to put a Duramax in... lol. I kid, sort of

Definite red flag when a seller won't share undercarriage pics. I always ask for these, every time. There are so many H2s on the market w serious serious rust issues.
Tires, I laugh because that was the one thing I missed when I bought mine. The tires were showing signs of dry rot. I ended up getting 2 years out of them and just recently replaced but definitely something often overlooked especially as these definitely have a tendency to sit for long periods of time and not often used as a daily driver. Good catch and getting that factored in. Sucks that inspection is not a local thing for you. Get those pictures before committing!

Old 09-13-2022, 06:18 AM
Default May have found it

Clean, clean under is as nice as the top. Inside is in good to great shape. I know and understand the cheap materials used in the interior by GM can not hold up great to any use. This is one of the better looking inside definitely the best under I a
have seen. All in pictures, so headed down tomorrow to look at it and hopefully drive her back.
a 2006 Fusion Orange a special limited run color. I lost it when I found it, orange is my color. Had to stop and take emotion out - ask wife and another buddy to look at pictures and give me their thoughts. A little pricey but within reason of the other nice ones I have found.

fingers crossed.

PS. Here is my baby- A 67 Camaro that brought back from the trash. Lol. One of a kind orange paint with ghost stripes that show up in bright light.

Old 09-13-2022, 10:38 AM

both look AMAZING!!