Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Hummer H2 Stereo upgrade Bose delete-

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 05:02 PM
Default Hummer H2 Stereo upgrade Bose delete-

Installer done with speaker & amp install & all I can say is WOW!!! Should have done this years ago..... I am pretty OCD with my H2 & originality so I retained the original speaker grills (all but the front pillar tweeters, however could have retained original grill). If you look at the H2 interior its pretty much stock look except for the Alpine ILX-W650 headunit and the added cellphone holder/USB link.

So- some notes installer said to pass on for those that wish to upgrade & cut NO wires- that's right, this is 100% reversible- if in the future anyone wanted to revert back to the Bose original setup. The original speakers on 4 were "gutted" & used to house the new speakers... They are easily found on ebay or elsewhere so he decided best to canibalize 4 original speakers than drill into the doors etc...

Of course everyone has their favorite speakers amps etc,, Please dont use to bash any manufacturers- mainly notes for install of what WILL work so anyone can decide what gear they choose for install. I will say this setup made me sit in the garage with the stereo cranked and delivered me back 40 years... seriously it sounds that amazing in both clarity & LOUD. I didnt want rattle the wheels off bass- I wanted bass that was clear & felt- this does that.

1. Front doors.
Speakers- JBL GTO629 6.5"
Adapter cable to plug speakers into original door harness (no cutting) HSTECH 72-4568
***The front door speakers are simply held in by a top "clip" press it and the entire speaker assembly removes. Gut the speaker & take tin snips to cut the "supports" so you are left with the original clip part, Put the part left (we can call it a mount) over the speaker & you can notch what you need to so the "mount" is resting on the speaker. Drill holes & mount - Had to cut 2 of the "ears" on the JBL speakers in half- you will still have enough to drill/screw the speaker with 4 screws provided in the JBL box. The GM "mount" kit will not fit these Hummers - Removing the innards of the speaker, basically gives you a perfect mount. Again. you can easily buy these Bose speakers on ebay if you wish to have a spare original set for future...***
The door panel removal instructions are easily found online. For sake of time I have left that part out.
Re-install "snap" the new speaker back into door connect new harness and you are done.

Time- Figure 1 hour per door.

2. Rear door
Speakers- JBL GTO629 6.5"
Adapter cable to plug speakers into original door harness (no cutting) HSTECH 72-4568

***The rear door speakers mount are simply held in by 3 screws, unscrew them and the entire speaker assembly removes with the mount. 4 screws holding speaker to the mount, remove the speaker & you can notch what you need to. so the "mount" is resting on the speaker. Drill holes & mount - The GM "mount" kit will not fit these Hummers - Removing the the speaker from the original mount, basically gives you a perfect mount. Again. you can easily buy these Bose speakers on ebay if you wish to have a spare original set for future...***
The door panel removal instructions are easily found online. For sake of time I have left that part out.
Re-install "3 screws" the new speaker back into door connect new harness and you are done.

Time - 1 hour per door.

Tools used - tin snips, oscillating multi-tool, cordless drill & bit for screws.

3. Front pillar tweeters.
Infinity Kappa 753T
Remove the pillars w/the original tweeters, pop out the tweeter, cut the wire off it so you can solder (or however you wish to join wires) to the existing connector. The crossover was used that was supplied with the new tweeters, it easily fits in the pillar. Snap the new tweeter in the jamb housing with some adhesive (whatever you choose). It fits in there perfectly- you can keep the original grill (stock look) or leave like mine is- I liked the way ithe new tweeters grill was so I removed the existing grill.
Reinstall - done!
Time - 30 minutes a pillar (if you solder & heat shrink).

4. Rear panel tweeters
Infinity Kappa 753

These panels snap right off just pull (4 clips hold them) disconnect speaker connector. The existing speakers were gutted & the housing used for a mount like the front doors kinda... You could actually use a bigger tweeter- However I will tell you- these Infinitys are amazing., Be creative & find a way to mount into the original speaker housing...These also use the same harness like the doors. Crossovers that were furnished were used.

Amp-
Kicker 46CXA3604T 65w x 4
Red Wolf harness amp bypass adapter 98-09
16/4 speaker wire (about 5'x2).
Scoshce install centric ICAK84. 8 gauge amp install kit.
HKS #8 Blue 16-14 Gauge heat shrink fork connectors.

Installer tried to install where the original Bose amp is (under the center console) but was just approx 1/4" too wide. Mounted under back seat cannot see. Heavy duty Velcro & 1 screw in floor seat frame to hold amp in place. The 2 sets of RCA cables to the Alpine 650 under carpet-console-receiver. The Harness amp bypass connects to the female plug going to the Bose amp (remove both connectors on existing Bose amp). The harness mentioned above is NOT color coded to the existing speakers in your Hummer!! When you plug in you will simply use the wires you need off the existing harness pins... This connector makes it so you do NOT have to cut into the original harness to get to the original speaker wires.... See attached for reference of color coding of the Hummer cable.. Mine is a Year 2006 & this DOES work.
The existing subwoofer already had the signal wire to turn on so that was used for the turn on signal. #8 ran to Post 1 I believe in the fuse box under the hood.

******* to make sure you have the correct speakers in the original truck harness - you can use a 9v battery to "pop" each set of speakers. This is at your risk, obviously if incorrectly done- you may hurt electronics. According to existing wiring diagrams, the wires to the speakers in the harness were tested this way before soldering as a final failsafe.******** (Google this method & lots of info on it.) Worked like a charm to positively confirm each speaker for installer. (tweeters front- already wired to front doors, tweeters rear-already wired to rear doors).

****The tweeters are already wired to the speakers in the vehicle**** Again- mine is a 2006 so on the original Harness to the Bose amp- Front R&L, Rear R&L were the only wires needed for all 8 to work . So you have basically 8 terminations to make up & plug into existing harness (solder & heat shrink to patch cable, on cable to new amp side - #16 fork crimped heat shrink connectors). ****

A slit was made in carpet under rear seat so a coat hanger could be used to "fish" the wire from under center floor console to location.

The center floor console was fully removed just for ease of all the wiring to be ran. Its easy to remove.

When you finish adjust gain & buttons on amp to your setup.

Hope this helps!! Just a guide to assist you in this endeavor, A stock look was retained & unbelievable audio was achieved!!!!

So- All doors (front & rear) will fit 6.5" with NO door modification.
Tweeters referenced above fit all 4 locations... Front pillars perfectly, rears could be larger but these were already purchased for install.

Last edited by Chrmer3; 01-11-2023 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:20 AM

I bet it does sound terrific. If I ever wanted an audio upgrade, would do it just as you did.

Old 01-12-2023, 03:44 PM

Fantastic! I did a full stereo in my 08 as well. I did the same with the amps and left the passenger side empty so I could put the seat down to get in the 3rd row. And your front tweeters look factory. The untrained eye would never be able to tell.

I did focals in the front, alpines in the rear, a jl 600w 12” in a stealth box made for the h2 on the driver side above the wheel well in the back. I also kept the factory Bose tweeters in the front and fillers in the rear(I wanted some sound back there). I have 2 600w Jl audio amps, 1 for all the speakers and 1 for the sub.

The guys at Cartunes of atlanta did a fantastic job on all of it.

I didn’t know JBL made any quality car Audio stuff. I guess they sound pretty good?

Last edited by Gavin Costigan; 01-12-2023 at 03:48 PM.