Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Hub replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 11:19 AM
Default Hub replacement question

Quick question for you gents. Driving home from emissions last week I started hearing an intermittent scraping noise every time the driver side wheel turned. Long story short, that hub is bad. I already have a new Timken hub on order with the 36mm socket.

My question is, would you replace both hubs at the same time or just one at a time? Part of me just wants to do both but I'm torn. I actually haven't checked the passenger side yet since its against the wall-I have to fix the driver side and pull her out of the garage first.

It has also been mentioned to replace the CVs as well since everything is apart but if they aren't bad why replace?

Old 07-23-2018, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
Quick question for you gents. Driving home from emissions last week I started hearing an intermittent scraping noise every time the driver side wheel turned. Long story short, that hub is bad. I already have a new Timken hub on order with the 36mm socket.

My question is, would you replace both hubs at the same time or just one at a time? Part of me just wants to do both but I'm torn. I actually haven't checked the passenger side yet since its against the wall-I have to fix the driver side and pull her out of the garage first.

It has also been mentioned to replace the CVs as well since everything is apart but if they aren't bad why replace?
If you're doing the work yourself no need to replace parts that are not broken. If you were paying labor for the work then I would change the parts on both sides including the CV's.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:27 PM

I'd say do them both while you're in there. Its an easy job and one you hopefully won't have to repeat. Axles are easy to do at the same time too, as are brakes.......its never ending.

Tim

Old 07-23-2018, 10:52 PM

I replaced my hubs about 5K apart, both before they were really bad. Takes me about 1.5 hours each side. I just wanted to be able to count on them and not have to worry about when they would fail.

This past fall when I did the whole front end, because I wanted it all to be good to go, I did the half shafts as well.
All pretty simple, I'm sure you can do it.

Good luck!

Old 07-24-2018, 07:54 AM

Unless you are headed on a cross country trip, I would just replace the one. No need to replace the axles unless the boots are torn/making noise or some other issue.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:03 PM

Thanks for the info gents, I'm going to do just the one side. I only use the rig for weekend trips shooting which isn't far from home so no huge road trips.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:09 AM

Do you guys replace the O-ring as well? I've heard to replace or don't worry if it's not worn but I feel like for $5 each why not just replace them? I ordered new front 5100 Bilsteins so I'm putting the hub replacement on hold since I might do new A-arms as well.

Old 08-09-2020, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
Do you guys replace the O-ring as well? I've heard to replace or don't worry if it's not worn but I feel like for $5 each why not just replace them? I ordered new front 5100 Bilsteins so I'm putting the hub replacement on hold since I might do new A-arms as well.
sorry to bump an old thread but i wanted to ask about the o ring
a local shop did my driver side wheel hub replacement and i was there while they did the process and i saw the mechanic try to fit the old o ring but then ended up throwing it out, i dont think the hub assembly came with a new o ring and i was wondering if u knew what the purpose of the o ring is. the hub/wheel bearing is a sealed unit so i am confused. the repair was just done a couple days ago and i read that people say to replace the o ring or something. is this a case where i have to take it apart and instlal a new o ring or is it fine without it?

thx

Old 08-10-2020, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by rpelich
sorry to bump an old thread but i wanted to ask about the o ring
a local shop did my driver side wheel hub replacement and i was there while they did the process and i saw the mechanic try to fit the old o ring but then ended up throwing it out, i dont think the hub assembly came with a new o ring and i was wondering if u knew what the purpose of the o ring is. the hub/wheel bearing is a sealed unit so i am confused. the repair was just done a couple days ago and i read that people say to replace the o ring or something. is this a case where i have to take it apart and instlal a new o ring or is it fine without it?

thx

interesting question as I just changed my passenger side hub this evening....

during removal.....I did NOT see an o-ring of any kind.

i looked over all the box/new hub and same....did not see an o-ring.

I will do the driver’s side tomorrow. Don’t expect to see an o-ring.

Mines a 2005

Just to cause some more confusion/confirmation.....summer of 2018, i replaced the driver’s side hub on my 2012 Silverado. Same situation.....NO o-ring. Been driving for 2 yrs now and now issues.

Old 08-10-2020, 01:35 PM

oh wow, heres a pic does this ring a bell?
im not very techy but i believe it sits in the steering knuckle where the hub meets when you install it.

heres a link and a pic

https://dmaxstore.com/products/?rout...spindle+o+ring

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/ac...b+o-ring,12808

maybe keep an eye out for this?

thx

Quick Reply: Hub replacement question