Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

help me identify what this could be ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 06:49 PM
Default help me identify what this could be ???

just found this box under the globebox and wanted to see if anyone knows what this may be ... i contacted the dealer from where i got my truck and they said they did not installed any trackers at all (my H2 is already paid for ) so i see no reason for them not to tell me if they had one installed .

this thing had a flashing blue light and is conected somewhere that goes up into the dash cant follow the wires ...

Old 09-09-2018, 07:15 PM

That is a GPS tracking device. It uploads the tracking data through cellular services which is what the SIM card is for. I have no idea on the brand but I've seen and installed a bunch of them in the ambulances we have.... Depending on the model it may also have a tie into the ODBII serial line to provide additional data like engine running, tachometer, temps, etc as well.

If you do not know why you have a GPS tracking device I'd strongly recommend that you promptly pull the black cap off the wire and remove its fuse and then proceed to fully remove it.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
That is a GPS tracking device. It uploads the tracking data through cellular services which is what the SIM card is for. I have no idea on the brand but I've seen and installed a bunch of them in the ambulances we have.... Depending on the model it may also have a tie into the ODBII serial line to provide additional data like engine running, tachometer, temps, etc as well.

If you do not know why you have a GPS tracking device I'd strongly recommend that you promptly pull the black cap off the wire and remove its fuse and then proceed to fully remove it.
man thanks for the fast reply. I think maybe the first owner might off had this installed.

I do have my own tracking devices but they are self powered not wired to anything on the truck this thing got my attention today ,thanks for the fast reply.....

I wonder if I just need to cut off the entire thing or should I go somewhere and have an expert on this thing trace and remove anything else related to this ?.....

Last edited by hmer; 09-09-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:51 AM

Looks like the Onstar gps to me.

Tim

Old 09-10-2018, 12:31 PM

That is definitely aftermarket the inline fuse did not come from the factory. You may want a professional remove it and see if it is attached to anything else.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:10 PM

man thanks for the fast reply. I think maybe the first owner might off had this installed.

I do have my own tracking devices but they are self powered not wired to anything on the truck this thing got my attention today ,thanks for the fast reply.....

I wonder if I just need to cut off the entire thing or should I go somewhere and have an expert on this thing trace and remove anything else related to this ?.....

Old 09-10-2018, 06:24 PM

Realistically you should be fine removing its fuse and SIM card. With those out its dead, and no possible way for it to track you. The bigger blue connector with the antenna cables does look factory and probably part of the Onstar setup. I'd leave that part alone....

Old 09-10-2018, 10:22 PM

Realistically you should be fine removing its fuse and SIM card. With those out its dead, and no possible way for it to track you. The bigger blue connector with the antenna cables does look factory and probably part of the Onstar setup. I'd leave that part alone....
thanks i went ahead and pulled the simcard and fuse out ... as far as onstar goes i just disconected and pulled the module out of the truck since its the factory module from 04 and all i get is a blinking red light . within the next few days im looking to order a 05-07 module from another truck to get it reprogram to my truck, I think i would need to order a newer shark antenna to work with the newer unit ...

Old 09-11-2018, 04:31 AM

Yep ..Looks Like a tracking device,,,, I have one on My H2... It's a killer $140.00 and that's it.. It's a Fleet GPS unit yo can buy for your rides...Check it out way cool for the money

https://www.gpsit.com/light-fleet-tracker

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KGQF6O2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KGQF6O2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Does it all Read about it and look at the pic's

Last edited by Mark R; 09-11-2018 at 04:34 AM.