Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Get rid of that Onstar in your dash for some storage!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 03:50 PM
Default Get rid of that Onstar in your dash for some storage!

Of course if you actually subscribe to or use Onstar then this might not be the best idea for you.

First thing - I can only confirm 100% that removal and disconnection of this causes zero issues on a 2003 model H2. I have no warning lights, messages, nothing. Zero ill affects or problems. Very very little documented but a few H2's actually came from the factory without Onstar. As such there is a factory pocket that you can still get to replace where the Onstar module is in your dash.

Step 1 - go online and order part number 15200468. I ordered from http://www.gmpartsgiant.com. Pretty much most sites stated limited or to call and confirm availability. I called and they said no problem. The pocket cost me $21.37 plus $11 shipping.

Step 2 - under your hood pull the VCIM fuse. VCIM stands for vehicle communications interface module and is the technical term for Onstar... Pulling this fuse totally disables Onstar and many do this regardless of physically removing the actual hardware. This will also confirm to you if disabling/removing Onstar will have any affect on your Hummer if you want to test first. Just pull the fuse and leave it out for a bit. You will notice that your Onstar unit is now dark and does nothing. Worst case, put it back in.

Step 3 - remove the console, then the center stack dash bezel. Remove the Onstar module. On our H2's this is the entire brain of the Onstar system. On many others the VCIM is a separate metal box hidden away and the buttons are installed on the mirror or up above on the ceiling console like the 08 and 09 Hummers.

Step 4 - wrap the cables up with some tape or something so they do not rattle in the dash.

Step 5 - install your fancy new dash pocket. It even has a separate rubber mat in the bottom so stuff does not slide around in the pocket or rattle.

Step 6 - put everything back together.

Step 7 - have a cold beer for an easy job well done and admire your new storage space.

On getting this H2 I quickly came to realize that this massive SUV has very very little actual small storage spaces for anything. After driving my GMC Sierra for many years I quickly realized that my smaller extended cab pickup has far more little storage spots for stuff.

Another thing I'm going to look at. Swapping the steering column for one that has the shifter on the column. I know, right.... I see other people in other vehicles wanting to do just the opposite and install a console shifter like ours! Go sit in a 1999-2006 or so GMC or Chevy pickup with the front bucket seats and marvel are the far more useful and spacious cupholder and large storage pocket. Wow! That is a dandy place to put my phone, smokes, other keys, sunglasses, whatever. I have found that I have nowhere to keep my sunglasses in the H2. Granted, once I install the Kenwood nav with bluetooth I'll not need to take my phone out of my pocket.

Speaking of which - I've also already read a couple of others who have done the same in yanking the Onstar out who have confirmed that you can then repurpose the Onstar microphone and GPS antenna for your nice aftermarket in-dash stereo/bluetooth/nav. So no need to run some additional GPS antenna nor find somewhere to stick the microphone. There is already a very nice high quality mic in the headliner right over your head (the forward one is the mic, the other thing a little further back is an air temp sensor). Just have to adapt the connectors or solder on new ones.

Replace the the useless bottom bit with the much handier top bit!

Attached Thumbnails Get rid of that Onstar in your dash for some storage!-pocket.jpg  

Last edited by MixManSC; 02-02-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:14 PM

Thank you for that info .. I was looking to do that for a while ... The website you used is not working but I found it in another Gm parts website . THX

Old 02-02-2017, 09:51 AM

miami, what part website did you use?

Old 02-02-2017, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by H2Miami
Thank you for that info .. I was looking to do that for a while ... The website you used is not working but I found it in another Gm parts website . THX
I messed up and typed the link wrong to the site I ordered it from. I left the s out in the middle after part. I fixed it. The correct one is

Direct link to the actual part - https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/g...-15200468.html

That is who I ordered it from anyways...

Old 02-02-2017, 07:43 PM

Won't work for 08, or 09's but awesome idea.

I swapped out my vcim module with a newer one and now have bluetooth functionality through the vcim module.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by jsbihn
miami, what part website did you use?
Just realized was the same website posted. But haven't received any info is the part is available

Old 02-03-2017, 07:04 AM

On the gmpartsgiant site I ordered from last week I just asked them on the live chat thing on the site. Was during the middle of the day though. The guy that was on the chat checked and came right back and said they were available.

Of course that does not necessarily mean that they had more than one. I did not ask on that.

Also - worse comes to worse - not having the factory pocket and just removing the onstar actually gives you a much larger pocket. But.... you would want to soften the edges of the opening just a tiny bit (not going to cut you but they are somewhat sharp) and close in the area itself. When I pulled mine out - I did not yet have the new pocket so I just put it back together without the onstar. The bottom of the opening has three notches just above the power outlets you would want to cover and there are a couple of other smaller openings to close in but its doable for sure.

If I did not have the factory pocket (and I still might since it would be a much larger storage) I'd use some black PVC sheet and line the opening with that to basically make my own pocket. You could probably get a local sign shop to get you some of the PVC sheet I'm talking about. Its 3mm thick (just under 1/8") and you can cut it with a utility knife.

This weekend I'm going to pull the dash back open to install the stereo and I'll get a couple of pics to better illustrate. Like I said - I might actually still make my own custom pocket since it would be much larger.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:02 AM

I must be one of the few that like the On*. I hope you guys are saving all the old parts for resale purposes.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:13 PM

I'm saving it but on mine and most 2004's the On* is the older analog version which cannot even be used anymore. If someone wanted to use one of the older analog ones they have to probably pay a ton to have the system upgraded to the digital version. I know for some time back in the late 2000's that there was an upgrade program if you would sign a 3 year agreement or something. For me and other 2003 owners for sure - its just a useless piece of junk that can never be used for anything just taking up space in the dash and using the battery for nothing.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:36 AM

When I had my '03 I think I paid about $150 for the digital upgrade, but that was a long time ago. I completely understand you wanting to remove it.

Quick Reply: Get rid of that Onstar in your dash for some storage!