PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is this onstar related ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 05:21 PM
Default is this onstar related ???

I just saw this in the back of my glovebox . R7ns all the way to the back of the radio ... IMEI numbers are phone related and i was wondering if this could be a onstar related ??? My radio its a aftermarket unit with no phone features at all ..

Last edited by hmer; 03-29-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:07 AM

I just did a IMEI # Lookup and comes up as a nokia phone so looks like this box has a phone board inside with no gps in it , this small box should also have a simcard inside too... now i realllly have no clue about what it could be for ...

Old 03-30-2014, 11:26 AM

I jus went out to the truck and opened the box . Ha s a small board with a simcard slot and a simcard in it , the sim its blank with no company logo in it . there s also a blinking blue LED so this sim its working . If anyone can come up with any ideas please let me know ...

Old 03-30-2014, 01:26 PM

Heres a very WILD guess..............

a LoJack system. But if it has no GPS then that alone might rule that out.

You could also play detective and simply unplug it and see what quits working.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:01 PM

Thanks fyr .. here is a picture of whats inside .

In some cases dealers use a similar setup with gps to track their vehicles in this case the board in this setup its from a nokia phone ...

Old 03-30-2014, 08:18 PM

Definitely must be some sort of tracking device. Was it actually plugged into anything?

Old 03-30-2014, 08:33 PM

The wires run all the way up to the back of the radio as far as i can see.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:01 PM

In looking at the pic of the internals of that device, combined with the info that you say its connected to the radio itself...........I am thinking that it might be some sort of internal navigation antenna array.

When I installed my factory nav unit, I had to add an internal nav antenna that was to be mounted under & inside the dash but close to the windshield so it could "see" the satellites' to feed the coordinates to the radio. That connection was also into the back of my radio.

Another clue that leads me to say this is that its from Nokia. So this means some kind of communications element. And with it saying "this side up", makes me look more toward that nav antenna. (if it were inverted, then whatever it is might not function correctly). Remember that this is an aftermarket unit too.

Again, this is yet another wild guess. I could be wrong.

Last edited by fyr145; 03-30-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:50 PM

Its not connected to the radio but its heading towads the back of it . The only extra feature phone related that this older head unit has its bluetooth . Im sure by now that this has to be some dealer related/tracking device . Back in the 90s a remember there was some older similar devices that had a similar setup with a bigger box and a simcard , please note that the use of this older devices im mentioning here were not mean to be used in general public . So if you dialed the number on this simcqrd you had 4 option . Once you dial it will pick up your call and you could dial :1 2 3or 4
4 . 1 would shutoff the vehicle 2 may trigger a speed limit of no more than 10 mph 3 would shutoff the vehicle and roll up the windows and lock up all doors and finaly 4 would do everything i mention before and also cut out power completly . But times had change alot since so who knows ... and yes i had weird jobs in the past thats how i know this ;-) ...