Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Having trouble finding leveling info

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 11:43 PM
Default Having trouble finding leveling info

I just bought a 2003 last week and have searched this forum high and low but could not find the 1 posting that I had seen a while ago. Someone had posted that the maximum safe level adjustment for the front, measured from the center of the rotor to the bottom of the fender is 23 1/2". My issue is that everything appears to be stock but my measurements are 24" to the bottom of the fender. This is a 2-owner vehicle with only 92,000 on it so I don't believe it has been modified. I looked at the torsion keys and they appear to be stock and the bolts are actually turned back to where there are a lot of threads showing. Any ideas? Also, could the distance be at 24" because this vehicle has coil springs in the rear, not air bags which may change the way the vehicle sits?

Any help is appreciated since this is my first H2.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:24 AM

I think this may be the thread that you are referring to:

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...ion-bar-30235/

Good Luck!

Old 07-02-2018, 10:43 AM

Actually thats not the thread but the one you linked has WAY more info than the one I was thinking about so thank you.

That answered my question.....but brought up another one. I see once again someone mentioned changing the keys rather than tightening the bolts to level the vehicle due to stressing the torsion bar. Unless I am really stupid with physics, the torsion bar flexes the same in whatever position the keys are in. The only way to stress the bars is to add more weight to the vehicle or go offroading and land very hard on the front end. The only reason I see in using aftermarket keys is if your stock suspension is sagging and you need the re-index feature to turn the bars back to the stock height.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:20 PM

To the best of my limited knowledge, you are correct. I have made minor adjustments with stock keys to bring my front end up a little and I am good to go. Just make sure to jack up the front to take the load off the torsion bars before adjusting.

Best of luck!

Old 07-02-2018, 09:38 PM

Taking the load off of the front end first to me is the most important thing. Thanks again for the reply.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Drumwzrd
Actually thats not the thread but the one you linked has WAY more info than the one I was thinking about so thank you.

That answered my question.....but brought up another one. I see once again someone mentioned changing the keys rather than tightening the bolts to level the vehicle due to stressing the torsion bar. Unless I am really stupid with physics, the torsion bar flexes the same in whatever position the keys are in. The only way to stress the bars is to add more weight to the vehicle or go offroading and land very hard on the front end. The only reason I see in using aftermarket keys is if your stock suspension is sagging and you need the re-index feature to turn the bars back to the stock height.

You are correct. Different keys do not take any stress off the torsion bars. Stock or aftermarket keys put the same loads on the bars. As you mentioned, re-indexed keys can be used if the bars are worn enough to where the bolts are bottomed out and the truck is either too low in the front or sitting uneven. When I did my GM green keys I actually noticed one side had the bolt much further in than the other so something to keep in mind. I counted the threads and put the bolts back exactly where they were after my key swap.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:44 PM

Thanks for that info. I'll adjust the stock keys and see how thing go.