Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

h2 steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2022, 01:51 PM

try running your tires at 40 psi and see if it improves the steering. low pressures really bog down the steering on pavement.

Old 12-04-2022, 08:26 AM

changed oil/fluid and already had the tyres on 38 psi. it drives good, just a little bit sticky when you turn a bit, feels like the steering gear is rough/sticky but i turned the adjust screw loose and i have a lot of slack in the steering wheel, so it isnt the steering gear.

Old 12-04-2022, 01:15 PM

have you greased the idler arm? the grease zirk is a bit of a pain to get too

Old 12-05-2022, 04:11 AM

today i toke the idler arm from the car, and its working perfect, no slack and it moves with 1 hand, i greased it because now you can reach the nipple.

so im still ? about why it sticks a bit......

Old 12-05-2022, 09:25 AM

maybe a stupid question but i try anyway: the powersteering works but can it be less powerfull? i mean can it work on 75%? if the powersteering pomp works its 100%or dead? or can it be a bit less powerfull after a while?

Old 12-05-2022, 10:42 AM

The pump can wear, the pressure valve can stick, the torsion rod and spool valve can stick. there are a lot of things that can cause low assist but I don't think any of these will affect the centering issue.
For me it almost has to be the steering gear, the only other thing I can think of is someone may have adjusted the thrust bearing pre load to tight in the gear. I would loosen it and see if that will allow it to center. If not then I would pull the gear and do some test on it as far as the torque required to turn it with nothing attached to the output shaft.

Hope this helps,

Neal

Old 12-06-2022, 05:09 AM

@neal i watched more films on yt how to drain/flush the steering fluid.

i did: suck the reservoir, then toke off the return line (low press with a normal clamb) then i blocked the reservoir exit with a loose tube. then i put a blanc tube on the return line en a bucket.
i filled the reservoir with the spec fluid, and turned the wheels left/right. nothng came out the return line?
then i started the car en turned a lot, nothing came out the line.

so i put the lines back and filled the resrvoir full, drove 5 km and sucked it out( now it was darker because it mixed with older fluid) and did that process 3x and now the reservoir fluid is complete red clear.

but i hope i explained it correct, but why wasnt the flushing methode not working, i did exact the same steps as a yt film,

Old 12-06-2022, 09:40 AM

with the truck engine running the fluid should flow out of the return line all the time or until the pump goes empty.

Your truck has hydra-boost brake assist which uses the power steering pump, how are the brakes in your truck, do they stop the truck without applying a lot of pressure to the brake peddle?

If your braking system is working as it should then it appears the steering gear spool valve is restricting the fluid flow.

also your pump should have 2 return lines, did you pull both lines to see if fluid was returning form the brake booster?

Neal

Old 12-06-2022, 11:17 AM

2 lines? frick me, i found 1 on the outside going to the top of the booster. i will check again soon

Old 12-06-2022, 12:07 PM

@wheelieman You did something wrong. Steering fluid will flow out of the return line when you turn the wheels with engine on.

@legerwn said: "fluid should flow out of the return line all the time or until the pump goes empty."
To clarify that statement, it suggests that this is an option. It is not.

NEVER let the pump run dry. Always top up with fresh fluid while you are flushing it. Have an assistant continually top up while it is draining on the other end.
Just like with brake bleeding, you do not want to introduce any air into the system, because that will cause trouble.

You will need about 4-5 bottles of fluid to do this right.
The first time I did this, the original fluid was black. Unbelievably dirty.
Guessing it was pulling color out of rubber seals, etc. Took a lot of flushing. I did the flush 2x over the period of a few days, to make sure all the old fluid was out.
The new fluid has since not gotten darker.

You said: "and now the reservoir fluid is complete red clear."

I did this a few years ago, and I think the fluid is CLEAR on the 2006 + 2007 H2, not red. Can anyone else confirm?

What year is your H2?
Are you using the correct fluid in the steering system?? Do different years of H2 use transmission fluid (red) for power steering?

Last edited by finall; 12-06-2022 at 12:14 PM.

Quick Reply: h2 steering issue