Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

getting rear main seal changed, anything else that shpuld be

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by apollo18
Thanks for al the help! And sorry I’m a noob. I heard about the bell housing thing, is thst what it seems like in my pics or is it impossible to say? I heard if I pop the cover off and look inside and there’s oil everywhere inside there then it’s definitely rear main. Is that true? Can I just pop it off wirh a flat head screw driver??

my plan was to wash it underneath at a card wash really good and then look again. Is that the best way to get it clean underneath??
If the oil was ONLY at the bottom of the bell housing good chance it's a rear main.You only need to understand gravity, trace the leak to the highest point and start repair there. I've had too many bad experiences with incompetent techs guessing the source of oil leaks. Customer returns still leaking, I made the tech repair at no charge. I would not quote an oil leak without cleaning the engine and using a tracer dye first.

Old 07-08-2021, 12:25 PM

yes you can pop off the cap on the bell housing with a flat screwdriver.

Old 07-08-2021, 02:48 PM

Degrease the bottom and side of the engine and wipe clean. This will be a very dirty job but you will have satisfaction at the end when all is shiny clean. I would also take the skid plate off if you can. I had very bad oil leaks and in some places there was an inch of build up of oil and dirt and sand.

I would also check to make sure all bolts are tight and nothing is loose, like the oil pan, oil filter, check the oil cooler lines next the the oil filter, it’s going to be a little labor intensive.