Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Failed controls on H2 driver power seat

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2023, 05:44 PM
Default Failed controls on H2 driver power seat

So I had a problem on my H2,and thought I would share the solution.

Symptoms: Driver Seat power (forward, backwards, tilt) were non-functional. All other functions, including seat bladder, memory seats, and heater functional. Passenger seat fully functional.

Diagnosis:
1. Checked 60A under hood. Even though I knew this could not be the problem. Motor worked via door memory buttons. But figured I would check the simple stuff first.
2. Pulled and checked for continuity under-steering wheel 30A silver circuit breaker. Ditto for 25A circuit breaker in left door jamb fuse box. Continuity good on both. Even thought I knew this could not be the problem for same reason as above. But Hey! Worth a look at their condition.
3. Checked under-seat wiring harness connector. That surely must be it, right? I had previously already jumped the fat orange and black wires, so I suspected that was not it either.
4. Disconnected and reconnected battery. That is the hail Mary that people often do, and sometimes it actually works.

Now I suspected a broken wire between the seat-side controller and the under-seat wiring harness connector, but later found out that the wires from the Driver side seat controls do NOT go to that connector. (connector pins are named differrently). Even though the wires travel thru the same bundles of wires going to that under-seat connector from the seat side-switches, at least part of the way.

I thought I had a broken or chafed wire, since the wiring harness bends and travels under the seat with seat movements. All looked good to me at first glance.

So what was the problem? And how much did I have to pay the dealer to fix it? Anyone want to guess before I give away the answer?

Last edited by finall; 08-04-2023 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-07-2023, 08:53 PM

Well if you went to a dealer...$$$$$$$$$$$$ and it sounds like you did your work troubleshooting the system. Don't tell me it was something simple and the part was $.29 Cents....and the Labor was $300.00... Quiring minds would like to know in case the seat gets stuck in the exit mode and we can't reach the steering wheel......

Old 08-08-2023, 01:25 AM

You are not far off.
OK, I will give you and others a few hints:

1. This was a bit of a trick question.
I did the fix myself, so the labor cost was $0.

2. Yup, I am sure the dealer would have charged me $300 labor to do the fix.

3. No new parts were required.

4. I searched the forums high and low, but mine was a bizarro problem, which I have never seen talked about before.

Old 08-08-2023, 10:33 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by finall
You are not far off.
OK, I will give you and others a few hints:

1. This was a bit of a trick question.
I did the fix myself, so the labor cost was $0.

2. Yup, I am sure the dealer would have charged me $300 labor to do the fix.

3. No new parts were required.

4. I searched the forums high and low, but mine was a bizarro problem, which I have never seen talked about before.
Ok now the juices are flowing. I figure it was maybe something to do with the connector system and or contacts being oxidized somewhere. Or a Lose or bad connection in the BCM connector or contacts . Maybe the contact looked like the wire was crimped but was not making contact.

I figure that the memory seat system must be logged by the BCM.... ??????

Old 08-08-2023, 11:18 AM

As the Memory Seat Module works it suggests the motor power wiring was OK

As some of the other controls work (think you said recline and horizontal didn't) the power to the seat adjuster switch is fine.

Looks like half of the the seat adjuster switch wasn't working, a stuck control, or maybe a broken PCB track ? (kid's stuck a crayon in it?)

My pdf dwg of the switch isn't correct so it's hard to tell - come on reveal all

Old 08-08-2023, 01:30 PM

rear carpet jammed in the track.

Old 08-08-2023, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck

Good call...the simplest thing is usually the bad guy. But I have a hunch he's gonna drag this on for another 50 posts....

Old 08-08-2023, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by oceanbrave
As the Memory Seat Module works it suggests the motor power wiring was OK

As some of the other controls work (think you said recline and horizontal didn't) the power to the seat adjuster switch is fine.

Looks like half of the the seat adjuster switch wasn't working, a stuck control, or maybe a broken PCB track ? (kid's stuck a crayon in it?)
l

Correct on point #1
Correct on point #2
Correct that I said half of the the seat adjuster switch was unresponsive. But not due to stuck control, nor broken PCB nor even kid's crayon or any other foreign object involved.
But you are getting closer on this one.

Hmmm.....keep going.

Last edited by finall; 08-08-2023 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-08-2023, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
Great guess, but wrong

Something even dumber happened. Not caused by user, nor anything loose jamming the mechanism.

Last edited by finall; 08-08-2023 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-08-2023, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mark R
Good call...the simplest thing is usually the bad guy. But I have a hunch he's gonna drag this on for another 50 posts....
Not caused by "a bad guy", unless you are talking GM engineer. Then you would be correct, LOL!

We are not even close to 50 posts yet, so keep going!

Last edited by finall; 08-08-2023 at 07:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Failed controls on H2 driver power seat