Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Engine is out and HP parts ordered, what headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by 96redvettelt4

I’ve received the catted mid pipes but the headers have a 1-2 week build time.

Are you local to GPI? I hadn’t ever heard of them... seems like a lot use Brian Tooley.
Not local to GPI, about 6 hrs away from them, they seem to have the market on the VVT stuff with the 5th gen camaros, They also developed the cams they sale for the VVT LS engine along with the tuning of the ECM / TCM's. I looked over the BTR web site and it looked like they sold comp cams for this application and I didn't see where they tuned after the install.

Neal

Old 03-02-2019, 03:48 PM

Appreciate the info MixMan,

I sent OBX an email a few days back but they didn't respond, I'll give them a call Monday.

Neal

Old 03-02-2019, 03:51 PM

Going to see if OBX will build a set with cats and ceramic coat them if possible, if they don't already have them.

Neal

Old 03-02-2019, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by legerwn
Not local to GPI, about 6 hrs away from them, they seem to have the market on the VVT stuff with the 5th gen camaros, They also developed the cams they sale for the VVT LS engine along with the tuning of the ECM / TCM's. I looked over the BTR web site and it looked like they sold comp cams for this application and I didn't see where they tuned after the install.

Neal
Appreciate your feedback and look forward to hearing how your experience with them goes. I may look at using them also. Did they steer you to stage II cam setup?

Old 03-02-2019, 07:50 PM

We discussed what I wanted out of the truck and what I was willing to put up with as far as how the truck drove and my intended use for the truck and they recommended the LLT2 cam. With the converter and the headers I could go with the LLT3 but we both felt the LLT2 was a better option for my needs.

Neal

Old 03-03-2019, 09:11 PM

Still surfing the net for headers and converters, came across Speed Engineering but don't see anything listed for the H2 but they have a lot of stuff for the Silverado so I dropped them an email. If I can get what I need to put it together myself from them then that may be the way I go as of now if I have to fab it myself I'll re-use the OEM CAT's. I really want the CAT's to reduce the odor. SE offers a true dual 3" CAT back set up with X pipe that looks pretty good also.

MixMan I've noticed through looking at all the pics on the net that the OBX system for the 6.2 does not have the #3 pipe going up and over like the system for the 6.0 so hopefully they have corrected this.

Neal

Old 03-04-2019, 06:44 AM

That is good to know. I've not had a need to look into the headers for the later 6.2 so I've never really paid attention to that. On thing I did research some time back is a crossover pipe. There are essentially two types each with somewhat different characteristics. The X pipe is the more popular option and tends to add more higher RPM power and a higher pitch to the sound. While an H pipe tends to add slightly more bottom end torque and a lower tone. So that is also one to consider... Plenty of articles have been written on it, just search for "x pipe vs h pipe" online. Personally I'm going with an H and will be welding two T's into mine later this summer with a short section (probably use a band clamp for serviceability) joining them somewhere.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:30 PM

Received my Dynatech headers and haven’t installed yet but everything looks high quality. How’s the build going?

Old 03-29-2019, 08:40 PM

I have all the parts from GPI, took the heads down and cleaned them, installed the new springs and new seals so they're back together and ready.

I tried to ordered a converter from Circle D but they wont deliver to a different address from my billing address (PO Box) so going to have to drive to Houston and pick it up once its built. Should be ready in a week or two but that wont hold me up. Kinda odd to not ship to other addresses this day and time but I understand fraud is everywhere. I could have ordered from somewhere else but I really wanted the Circle D converter.

I ordered the headers and true dual setup from Speed Engineering, it should be here Monday. Called Jet-Hot about sending them to have them ceramic coated but they suggest installing them for initial start up of the engine before sending them. A test fit is probably best before sending them for sure. I ordered the high flow CAT's and they should be here tomorrow.

Got to finish checking bearing clearances on the bottom end then get it back together if everything checks out good.

Been busy with work and other projects also but hopping to get on it full time shortly

Neal

Old 03-30-2019, 08:01 AM

Very good idea on the headers. Headers in many cases require some massaging with a percussive maintenance tool (aka a hammer) to get them fit just right. You dont want to risk chipping a ceramic coating so if you have to put a tiny dent in them somewhere for better clearance its best to do that before coating.

How much do they charge for the coating?

Quick Reply: Engine is out and HP parts ordered, what headers