Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Deleted coolant line thru throttle body and added oil catch can

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 02:46 PM
Default Deleted coolant line thru throttle body and added oil catch can

This was a pretty easy mod that made a noticable difference.

IAs you may know, the LQ4's and most LS's have coolant line passage that runs thru the throttle body. This might be important if you live in a cold climate but I can assure you living in FL, makes no sense to me. By eliminating this line, the throttle body itself will remain cooler and reduce incoming air temps.

The mod was easy, I just went to auto store and purchased 4ft of 5/16 heater hose. I ran from the radiator location directly to the drivers side steam port. The factory runs a line from radiator, thru throttle body then to steam port. I suppose you could also just use a 5/16 ****** fitting and splice the two hoses together. I didn't want to deal with any future leaks so for a few bucks more I just went with the new hose.

My butt dyno says it made a difference but who knows.

I also added a oil catch can. LS's are also notorious for excessive oil consumption due to the factory PCV system. A catch can will 'catch' the oil before it collects in the intake manifold. If you've had to replace knock sensors, you know what I mean.

Install was easy. I ran the line from the drivers side rear valve cover over the the passenger side front breather port, I used a tee to connect them then ran a single line to the in side of catch can. Then the out side I connected to the throttle body port. That left the port on top of the intake open, so I blocked it off.

I went thru major research finding the right way to install this. I wanted to leave the PCV system closed and not open air, so this is how I assumed it should be done. I won't know if it actually works or not for a few weeks but I have no negative issues so far.

Tim

Old 03-18-2020, 07:48 AM

Those are both good mods, I know the later model direct injection motors really benefit from a catch can. I should put one on my 6.2L Denali.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:06 AM

I had a catch can on my 06 GTO and was amazed at what it caught between oil changes with the LS2. Same thing with my Wifes LT1 camaro, even more oil caught than the LS2. The H2 however I rarely get the RPMs up so I'm not so concerned with oil blow by an the need for a catch can.