Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Custom Digital Display Interface

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 05:32 PM

I'm in!! Take my money!!

Old 09-11-2022, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
As far as I'm aware the mileage is only copied/updated to the BCM(TBC) only (not in the PCM at all) but it is not logged there. The BCM just keeps a record of what the cluster reports to it. Swap in a cluster with a different mileage and the BCM will update itself with the mileage from the new cluster.

You can leave the cluster disconnected and drive around for a month and the recorded mileage in the BCM will not change or update.
The Body Control Module eeprom is storing the mileage? I'll have to contact someone tomorrow to verify this. Don't think I'm discounting you I just need verification.

Old 09-11-2022, 08:09 PM

mileage is stored in the cluster i had to transfer my original eeprom to the replacement chevy taho cluster board to transfer my mileage. it does check somewhere else to compare if the data match's.

Old 09-12-2022, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
mileage is stored in the cluster i had to transfer my original eeprom to the replacement chevy taho cluster board to transfer my mileage. it does check somewhere else to compare if the data match's.

Thanks for the information. I'll spend some time today contacting some shops that work on these vehicles along with the dealerships. I found a pdf on the h2's wiring and hardware.

Old 09-12-2022, 09:59 AM

The main eeprom for mileage is indeed in the cluster. Just to the lower right corner of the PRNDL VFD. My understanding is that it is reported to the BCM by the cluster but only as a static copy of the current - in other words what the BCM shows will only get updated by the cluster.

Old 09-12-2022, 06:07 PM

Your conceptual design looks fantastic, pitch, roll, yaw and back-up camera would be great too!

Once you have a LCD panel with Serial Comms , the world opens-up, for example adding DTC libraries, even if only for the basic stuff or just the codes with the ability to clear them.

This is diagram for an 04' Instrument Cluster, heavily annotated but quite hi-res.

I'm no expert, but it looks like the 12-Way connector brings in all the key controls, some functions appear to handled by discrete logic, others by Serial Comms.

As well as the eeprom as MixManSC and bronxteck discussed, these are some of the functions that would need replicating for a plug-and-play solution:-
  • Mal Function Indicator and it's functions (Check Engine Light)
  • Serial Class-2 software layers, for example the circuit diagram shows the following sub-functions, there other system functions such as Steering Switches, DIC messages, Languages, Options for example:-
    • PRND321 display
    • Fuel Level
    • Battery Volts
    • Tachometer
    • Speedometer
    • Transmission Fluid Temp
    • Engine Oil Pressure
    • Engine Mileage eeprom (as mentioned)
Hard wired logic functions:-
  • Washer Fluid Low detection
  • Lighting/Dimming Controls
  • Steering Controls - Left & Right Selector Switches (Trip, Fuel, Personalization, etc)
  • Left & Right Turn Indicators
The ABS, Traction Control, Airbag, Battery, Tow/Haul, Low Fuel, Cruise Control, Brake, Seat Beldt, Security, High Beam also are handled by Serial Class2.

Been trying to get my hands on an old/scrap cluster for some time to reverse engineer as it's a component that seems to have a lot of questions/issues.

As for the Serial Comms I've yet to explore that universe 😀

Old 09-12-2022, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rotech
Hello,

I just purchased a 2003 Hummer H2. I'm starting to upgrade my interior to give it a modern look. Besides changing out seats, carpet/headliner, I've decided to tackle the instrument cluster. Nothing wrong with having analog gauges I just prefer the digital look I've been accustomed to over the years. Spent sometime searching online and see no one has a plug and play solution to fill the current instrument cluster spot. I've decided to develop my own and would like feedback from the community with my current UI iteration. Let me know what you would add or take away?

I've added all the current gauges from the stock instrument cluster. I'm looking to add a gyroscope to get pitch/row when off roading. Have to tap into the TCM to get trans temperature info and add a rear view camera into it. I look forward to the feedback from the community.

See image of cluster design below:

Hummer H2 Custom Digital Display
That looks awesome, I will want to buy one once this is all said and done… I think you have covered all the bases on the gauges though, look forward to seeing the progress!

Old 09-13-2022, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by oceanbrave
Your conceptual design looks fantastic, pitch, roll, yaw and back-up camera would be great too!

Once you have a LCD panel with Serial Comms , the world opens-up, for example adding DTC libraries, even if only for the basic stuff or just the codes with the ability to clear them.

This is diagram for an 04' Instrument Cluster, heavily annotated but quite hi-res.

I'm no expert, but it looks like the 12-Way connector brings in all the key controls, some functions appear to handled by discrete logic, others by Serial Comms.

As well as the eeprom as MixManSC and bronxteck discussed, these are some of the functions that would need replicating for a plug-and-play solution:-
  • Mal Function Indicator and it's functions (Check Engine Light)
  • Serial Class-2 software layers, for example the circuit diagram shows the following sub-functions, there other system functions such as Steering Switches, DIC messages, Languages, Options for example:-
    • PRND321 display
    • Fuel Level
    • Battery Volts
    • Tachometer
    • Speedometer
    • Transmission Fluid Temp
    • Engine Oil Pressure
    • Engine Mileage eeprom (as mentioned)
Hard wired logic functions:-
  • Washer Fluid Low detection
  • Lighting/Dimming Controls
  • Steering Controls - Left & Right Selector Switches (Trip, Fuel, Personalization, etc)
  • Left & Right Turn Indicators
The ABS, Traction Control, Airbag, Battery, Tow/Haul, Low Fuel, Cruise Control, Brake, Seat Beldt, Security, High Beam also are handled by Serial Class2.

Been trying to get my hands on an old/scrap cluster for some time to reverse engineer as it's a component that seems to have a lot of questions/issues.

As for the Serial Comms I've yet to explore that universe 😀

Thanks for the diagram and information. I spent much of yesterday finding wiring diagrams and testing can bus signals/information. Searched for Automotive grade components like rear view camera, infrared cameras, wire connectors, pcb connectors, etc. So far the biggest hurdle is the Odometer. Once I can get that figured out properly everything else will move along smoothly.

I also noticed the cluster is different for 2007-2009 H2's. However, data/signals should be the same.

Old 09-13-2022, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Pierson M
That looks awesome, I will want to buy one once this is all said and done… I think you have covered all the bases on the gauges though, look forward to seeing the progress!
Thank you. I will post more as it progresses.

Old 09-13-2022, 10:53 AM

Update: Spoke with Paul from Predator Inc. Seems the odometer reading is the issue on the H2's. They have to send out the clusters to get reprogrammed. Still reaching out to other companies for more info. Looks like I need to address this issue or maybe thats why other companies have given up cause they couldn't. Either way I'll have a solution just might need to be manually input and saved by the end user into the new Digital cluster.

Quick Reply: Custom Digital Display Interface