Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Custom Digital Display Interface

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 04:29 PM
Default Custom Digital Display Interface

Hello,

I just purchased a 2003 Hummer H2. I'm starting to upgrade my interior to give it a modern look. Besides changing out seats, carpet/headliner, I've decided to tackle the instrument cluster. Nothing wrong with having analog gauges I just prefer the digital look I've been accustomed to over the years. Spent sometime searching online and see no one has a plug and play solution to fill the current instrument cluster spot. I've decided to develop my own and would like feedback from the community with my current UI iteration. Let me know what you would add or take away?

I've added all the current gauges from the stock instrument cluster. I'm looking to add a gyroscope to get pitch/row when off roading. Have to tap into the TCM to get trans temperature info and add a rear view camera into it. I look forward to the feedback from the community.

See image of cluster design below:

Hummer H2 Custom Digital Display

Old 09-10-2022, 09:19 PM

Not going to lie... That is seriously cool... Hope you can pull it off

Old 09-11-2022, 09:46 AM

I agree, looks sharp

Keep us posted on your progress

It looks like you've covered all the basic readings needed

Neal

Old 09-11-2022, 12:32 PM

That looks cool! How are you planning to build this?

Old 09-11-2022, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by H1H2
Not going to lie... That is seriously cool... Hope you can pull it off
Thank you!

Old 09-11-2022, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by legerwn
I agree, looks sharp

Keep us posted on your progress

It looks like you've covered all the basic readings needed

Neal
Looking to add more data just wanted to know what other H2 owners wish they had in their vehicle. Like Transmission temps, etc.

Old 09-11-2022, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Wrap&Go
That looks cool! How are you planning to build this?
I develop software/firmware for digital displays on mobile apps and vehicle startups. This current design will be on a 12.3 inch screen. It will be a plug and play setup nothing that needs to be connected to the obd2 port.

Old 09-11-2022, 01:38 PM

Very very cool. Missing the trans temp but I'm sure you could work that in somehow - trans temperature signals are already at the the cluster. If you can pull this off you would also have the entire market of 03-07 GM full size trucks and SUV's. Obviously a lot of programming, custom circuit board needed to to interpret all the various digital and analog signals. One thing to be aware of though - there are some differences between some of the years of clusters. I think 05-07 PRNDL is just led indicators while 03/04 have a VFD PRNDL. I might be off on the years and I'm also not sure if there is programming differences. The cluster is also where the mileage is stored on them. On the ones used in the full size GM trucks and SUV's I do know that the diesel ones are different and many do not have the trans temp gauge but you can take a cluster from an HD truck, Escalade, or Denali that has the trans temp, install it into a truck that did not have the trans temp gauge and it just works. Only real difference between the full size GM truck/suv ones and the H2 ones is the bezel/lens on the front are different.

Seems like a pretty massive project from an engineering perspective as well since a mount, bezel, lens will need to be engineered to fit as well in addition to the custom circuit board and programming required.

This link has pics of the 05-07 version. https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/p...2007-h2-26198/

Old 09-11-2022, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
Very very cool. Missing the trans temp but I'm sure you could work that in somehow - trans temperature signals are already at the the cluster. If you can pull this off you would also have the entire market of 03-07 GM full size trucks and SUV's. Obviously a lot of programming, custom circuit board needed to to interpret all the various digital and analog signals. One thing to be aware of though - there are some differences between some of the years of clusters. I think 05-07 PRNDL is just led indicators while 03/04 have a VFD PRNDL. I might be off on the years and I'm also not sure if there is programming differences. The cluster is also where the mileage is stored on them. On the ones used in the full size GM trucks and SUV's I do know that the diesel ones are different and many do not have the trans temp gauge but you can take a cluster from an HD truck, Escalade, or Denali that has the trans temp, install it into a truck that did not have the trans temp gauge and it just works. Only real difference between the full size GM truck/suv ones and the H2 ones is the bezel/lens on the front are different.

Seems like a pretty massive project from an engineering perspective as well since a mount, bezel, lens will need to be engineered to fit as well in addition to the custom circuit board and programming required.

This link has pics of the 05-07 version. https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/p...2007-h2-26198/
Yes, this development is a bit of an undertaking. Creating a new shroud to cover the display will be the hardest part of the process. I'll have to possibly create several 3d printed designs. Thanks for the information regarding the GMC truck clusters. I did not even think about them. As far as the Odometer the data is stored in the ECU as well. I just have to extract it. I added a boost gauge on the UI design which I can turn into the Trans Temp gauge instead. Finding a high quality screen will be another hurdle as most 12.3 inch screens don't fair well in cold conditions.

Old 09-11-2022, 04:56 PM

As far as I'm aware the mileage is only copied/updated to the BCM(TBC) only (not in the PCM at all) but it is not logged there. The BCM just keeps a record of what the cluster reports to it. Swap in a cluster with a different mileage and the BCM will update itself with the mileage from the new cluster.

You can leave the cluster disconnected and drive around for a month and the recorded mileage in the BCM will not change or update.

Quick Reply: Custom Digital Display Interface