Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Bump stops, who needs em!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 04:37 AM
Default Bump stops, who needs em!

So I got my H2 lifted and the shop that I had to do it completely cut off the lower bump stops, I'm not 100% positive that that is what they're called they are not the upper bump stops they are below the upper control arm they are metal and welded on or part of the frame.

I mean who needs those right? What the heck were those GM engineers thinking, I mean of course my local Podunk hack mechanic knows way better than any engineer working for GM, I mean why else would he have completely cut them off on both sides and not even ground down the metal just leaving it all jagged, that's that good good right there I'm so glad that I got this sweet awesome good mechanic to work on my ride, he even did me a little custom job number on one side of the frame in the very back end by the rear sway bar links, I mean dude he's so good he started to cut the end of the frame that completely didn't even need it and then he quit like halfway through and just left it all jagged looking I mean if that's not pro I don't know what is! The best part about all this is he knew I didn't want anything on the frame cut, no modification of the frame whatsoever, I wanted to be able to take it all back to stock if possible, what a pal!

Ok so is this why it feels like my H2 death wobbles like a Jeep now?

Last edited by H2-4ME-NOT-U; 07-12-2021 at 04:40 AM.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:09 PM

has to do with suspension geometry and they might have also torn your old dried out bushings if they did not release all the suspension arm bolts during the lift. it should have been released then tightened down when the vehicle weight was on the suspension. but now you have to go under there with a crowbar and wiggle steering and suspension components till you find something moving that should not be. upper and lower control arms, ball joints upper and lower, tie rods, and all the links and steering arms. don,t forget to also check the steering column and all its bits leading to the gearbox plus the gearbox for play.
fun weekend project. make sure to pick the hottest day you can to enjoy it more. gravel driveway will really take it up a notch as well.

Old 07-12-2021, 02:20 PM

Ooh I do have a gravel driveway! NOICE!!! I do notice there is now a wonderful & mysterious clunk noise while turning at low speeds, I have no idea what it is but it is music to the ears! I do think that I should share some snapshots of this master-level weld-work.

Old 07-13-2021, 10:02 AM

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...utorial-35049/

I hope not those ones..... Those are an integral part of the front suspension. The lower control arms ride on those and they smooth out bumps and dampen the action of the torsion bars.

Old 07-14-2021, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...utorial-35049/

I hope not those ones..... Those are an integral part of the front suspension. The lower control arms ride on those and they smooth out bumps and dampen the action of the torsion bars.
I don't think that's it, those are bump stops, what I'm talking about are circular and metal and welded to the frame underneath the control arm and it looks like possibly they were resting spaces for when you jack your truck up on a lift to work on it so maybe the control arms and the tires wouldn't droop all the way down it looks like it stops them from traveling so far?

Last edited by H2-4ME-NOT-U; 07-14-2021 at 12:55 AM.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:55 AM

the upper stops are a metal structure welded to the frame and are to limit suspension max travel for CV shaft protection,

Neal

Old 07-14-2021, 10:31 AM

There used to be something there....

Funny thing, I specifically told them not to cut the frame...

Different angle

Other side

Yeah I know, I need to clean & paint the frame

Wtf?!?! Unnecessary!

Didn't even bother to grind it down...

Old 07-14-2021, 02:11 PM

The one in your first couple of pictures are ones I was talking about that I linked above. You can see the remains of what is left of the lower stop still bolted to the bottom of the bracket. Fortunately the lower part of the bracket is still there for you to mount the LCA stops on. Your LCA's ride on those and having them might actually help. They are an important and integral part. See this thread again.... order them and put them on. https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...utorial-35049/

Old 07-14-2021, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
The one in your first couple of pictures are ones I was talking about that I linked above. You can see the remains of what is left of the lower stop still bolted to the bottom of the bracket. Fortunately the lower part of the bracket is still there for you to mount the LCA stops on. Your LCA's ride on those and having them might actually help. They are an important and integral part. See this thread again.... order them and put them on. https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...utorial-35049/
Ok, thanks! But what about the parts that were cut off, if anyone has a.moment and can take a photo of the same spot on their H2 for comparison that would be really cool. I really want to have a good reason to march back down to the shop that did this and demand a refund, I mostly angered that they cut anything when I specifically told them not to several times, that's the whole reason that we ordered the lift piece by piece.

Old 07-14-2021, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by legerwn
the upper stops are a metal structure welded to the frame and are to limit suspension max travel for CV shaft protection,

Neal
This ^^ is 100% Correct, To Limit Max Droop travel add to that CV shaft Joint protection the upper and lower ball joints from over binding. control arm bushing over rotating (ripping). and what they did is plain ugly. What exactly did you get for a lift? looks like over cranking the torsion bars and those stops got in their way?

Quick Reply: Bump stops, who needs em!