PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blower Motor Resistor Quandary!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 05:50 PM
Angry Blower Motor Resistor Quandary!

Hi all!
Ok, so my air went out recently- just stopped blowing, but you can feel cold air still coming out of the vents during high speeds because of the air getting into the vehicle. Of course, in Georgia heat, that is NOT enough because standing still at a light will cause you to burn up in the 100+ degrees- I KNOW PERSONALLY.
So, I take it to my mechanic, who tests out the blower and whether power is going to it, and finds that I need a new blower motor. I ordered it from PartsGeek- Love them and the darn thing arrives a week later. My mechanic is out of town, so I take it to a shop which charged me $125 to put it in....no comment on the price- I am burning up alive in my BLACK hummer in 104 degree weather so. I. do. not. care. So, he says, "Do you have the resistor because if you get a new blower, you should also get a new resistor?" I'm like, "No...." So he puts n the new blower and it is till not working. I need a new resistor. I promptly get a ride to Auto Zone and they sell me one for 40 something bucks. I return and the man says, "This does not fit." So I return to Auto Zone and they are having a quandary because the part number for a 2007 Hummer H2 says that the part they sold me is correct. Now, I have my resistor and the resistor they sold me and they CLEARLY look different. I pull out my phone and look up a resistor for a 2007 Hummer H2- ALL the pics look just like the one I was sold, and not MINE. WEIRD. So, I call GM, they say they have the part for 99 bucks. At this point, I. do. not. care. about the price. So, I drive another 20 miles to the local GM dealer. Again, the part LOOKS different. SO he calls his manager and now they are also in a quandary because they cannot figure out why it looks different from mine. He calls another person on the phone and now I get an explanation- GM HAS STOPPED MAKING THIS PART FOR HUMMER H2 2007.I literally laughed. Now I know GM promised to make parts for up to 10 years after production stopped, but are you telling me that I cannot get this part from ANYWHERE, ANYMORE????? What?! He says, "Well, you can find an after-market dealer, and of course, the price will be exorbitant, but that's about your ONLY option. Are you kidding me?????

So for anyone owning a 2007 Hummer, and if the blower motor resistor goes out, which is NEEDED for the air to work, we are up the freaking creek?????

Can someone please direct me to where I might find this part? Or some other remedy for my plight? Thank you!

A speedy response would be greatly appreciated as I am still HOT!

Old 07-02-2019, 07:20 PM

cross reference the new parts wire pinout to yours then try find a pigtail that fits the plugs or maybe you can find it at a junkyard or online seller like amazon or eBay it would probably help if you post pictures and part numbers.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:18 PM

I believe this is what you want:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F253048873658

I've used Module Repair Pro before, they are a good company. Since it's no longer made, having it remanufactured is a great option.

Old 07-07-2019, 09:43 AM

hummer_on_fumes ebay referb should be OK.

Though commonly referred to as a "resistor" because there isn't one, the correct name is "Blower Motor Control Processor" the reason for explaining this is its more complicated than just a resistor.

You can easily test the blower fan itself by connecting it to say a 3V battery, but make sure it's firmly held down as the motor will spin on itself when it starts up!! (you can use 12V but the motor will pull around 8Amps and will be very lively!!)

Modules often fail with the fan "stuck-on" because the internal power MOSFET (IRFBA1405PPbF) goes short-circuit and can no longer regulate the voltage. You can also find this MOSFET on eBay for about $5,its not difficult to change if you have some soldering skills. The MOSFET bolts directly to the aluminum heatsink without an insulating washer (as far as I can ascertain)

No fan control can be caused by corrosion of the PCB inside, this may be a little more tricky to diagnose and repair but its still possible (always here to help)

When I get time I'll put out a video to cover the subject.

Last edited by oceanbrave; 07-07-2019 at 10:54 AM.