Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Best detailing product for black trim on H2s?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 02:05 AM

Thanks for the info Mark. You may just have saved me the $20 and frustration.
Well, I finally had time to read the Amazon reviews, and they are dismal. If you ignore all the praise ones and those from Vine free product reviews, as I consider those tainted or shills.
The one-star ratings are where I go, and they are real scarry. Stuff is turning light gray and chalky when it dries? All the photos in the reviews are scary.

This is water based stuff. I bought some solvent based stuff a decade ago. Even doing engine bay plastic panels had the stuff lasting to this day. It had stellar reviews.
So my hunt for a solvent-based dye continues. The company that supplied it went out of business.

The Mothers and Maguire's type black waxes are useless and last days or weeks. Need something that will last years, and not look like it was painted on.

I understand that results may vary, and that some people will have good luck with this product. Just too many consistent, negative reviews and warnings to stay away from this stuff. So not willing to take that risk.

Surely someone out there has found something great and permanent for their mondo-plastic trimmed Avalanche or other GM vehicl?

If anyone knows where to find the good solvent-based dye, please let me know.

BTS: None of these are actually dyes, as they do not penetrate the plastic like a real dye would. ThatBlackStuff is just a paint, aka surficial coating. Mine translucent, and although a coating, more like a true dye in that it went on evenly, black, and restored the sheen. Real black. A new rear quarter bumper cap indistinguishable from the other side that was original and dyed. That was some test! Perfect. Too bad that manufacturer imploded.

Last edited by finall; 03-17-2024 at 02:11 AM.
Old 03-18-2024, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by finall
Thanks for the info Mark. You may just have saved me the $20 and frustration.
Well, I finally had time to read the Amazon reviews, and they are dismal. If you ignore all the praise ones and those from Vine free product reviews, as I consider those tainted or shills.
The one-star ratings are where I go, and they are real scarry. Stuff is turning light gray and chalky when it dries? All the photos in the reviews are scary.

This is water based stuff. I bought some solvent based stuff a decade ago. Even doing engine bay plastic panels had the stuff lasting to this day. It had stellar reviews.
So my hunt for a solvent-based dye continues. The company that supplied it went out of business.

The Mothers and Maguire's type black waxes are useless and last days or weeks. Need something that will last years, and not look like it was painted on.

I understand that results may vary, and that some people will have good luck with this product. Just too many consistent, negative reviews and warnings to stay away from this stuff. So not willing to take that risk.

Surely someone out there has found something great and permanent for their mondo-plastic trimmed Avalanche or other GM vehicl?

If anyone knows where to find the good solvent-based dye, please let me know.

BTS: None of these are actually dyes, as they do not penetrate the plastic like a real dye would. ThatBlackStuff is just a paint, aka surficial coating. Mine translucent, and although a coating, more like a true dye in that it went on evenly, black, and restored the sheen. Real black. A new rear quarter bumper cap indistinguishable from the other side that was original and dyed. That was some test! Perfect. Too bad that manufacturer imploded.
Cool... Let us know when you find the stuff yo like..

Old 03-18-2024, 03:11 PM

I've been using the CAR GUYS plastic restorer with their cleaner for a little while now, have been impressed with it thus far

close to 30,000 reviews on Amazon,

Neal