Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Best detailing product for black trim on H2s?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 08:42 AM
Default Best detailing product for black trim on H2s?

I have been using black magic and back to black. Both make the trim look great and dark black for about a week then it fades and goes back to normal.
is there any product out there that works better for the black trim on our Hummer H2s? My black trim is in OK shape but it is starting to fade. Especially on the rear bumper. Thanks so much.

Old 03-15-2024, 09:35 AM

some people like to use SEM products to refinish the plastics
https://semproducts.com/product/trim-black
they also make interiour paint, undercoating, leather repair stuff.

Old 03-15-2024, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Fonzie
I have been using black magic and back to black. Both make the trim look great and dark black for about a week then it fades and goes back to normal.
is there any product out there that works better for the black trim on our Hummer H2s? My black trim is in OK shape but it is starting to fade. Especially on the rear bumper. Thanks so much.
This what I have used. And it was applied two years ago. And it is still on and Black. It is more like a Paint. Go to your local hardware store and get some of those foam brushes. They are angled and come in different sizes. They make for a great applicator for this product. You might need more then one coat. It will give you a dark black Flat finish when done.

Amazon Amazon

This has been covered before. If yo do a Search you will find more recommendations .

Old 03-15-2024, 10:47 AM

put it on the H2 about a year ago.. still gtg

Old 03-15-2024, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mark R
This what I have used. And it was applied two years ago. And it is still on and Black. It is more like a Paint. Go to your local hardware store and get some of those foam brushes. They are angled and come in different sizes. They make for a great applicator for this product. You might need more then one coat. It will give you a dark black Flat finish when done.

https://www.amazon.com/That-Stuff-Re...c1df98776&th=1

This has been covered before. If yo do a Search you will find more recommendations .

@Mark R

Mark, that link no work for me. Is this the stuff?
Amazon Amazon

Is this the stuff that is a water-based acrylic paint? Some call it a plastic dye, but it is just paint you can dab on with a sponge. I used to have some a decade ago, but it went bad. Been looking for it for years!

Last edited by finall; 03-15-2024 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-16-2024, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by finall
@Mark R

Mark, that link no work for me. Is this the stuff?https://www.amazon.com/That-Stuff-Re.../dp/B0841NY2KC

Is this the stuff that is a water-based acrylic paint? Some call it a plastic dye, but it is just paint you can dab on with a sponge. I used to have some a decade ago, but it went bad. Been looking for it for years!

Yep That Amazon link is the stuff I used. I like it no matter what it is ..it worked for me.. Watch the Videos one after the other on the link page..

Old 03-16-2024, 12:30 PM

Great! Can you please tell me if that stuff is water-based or solvent-based? i.e. wipe off with mineral spirits (common solvent paint thinner)? Or water?

Looks like solvent-based, but hard to tell from the info.

My old stuff that worked so well was solvent-based, and the panels I did are still like new!

Last edited by finall; 03-16-2024 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-16-2024, 03:34 PM

Great! Can you please tell me if that stuff is water-based or solvent-based? i.e. wipe off with mineral spirits (common solvent paint thinner)? Or water?

Looks like solvent-based, but hard to tell from the info.

My old stuff that worked so well was solvent-based, and the panels I did are still like new!
I have no clue what's in there. Here's the web site, but there is no mention of what's it contains.
It works...At least I like it and so does the "2". Still looking good after two years. Understand that when it dries.. it is totally Flat Black.. No sheen. Some area's might need a second coat. I have to coats on mine.

https://www.thatblackstuff.com/

Old 03-16-2024, 04:08 PM

Does it clean up off your brush and hands with water or did you have to use solvent? That will tell me. Thanks.

Old 03-16-2024, 09:26 PM

Does it clean up off your brush and hands with water or did you have to use solvent? That will tell me. Thanks.
Yeah, It cleans up with water real nice. I used the foam bush's for ACE hardware. Just run it under the water and squeeze. But don't let the stuff dry. I also have a wet or damp rag next to me in case I get it on me or the body paint.

Quick Reply: Best detailing product for black trim on H2s?