Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Adjusting parking break

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2020, 11:56 AM

Hello all. I need help with a persistent parking brake issue on my 2003 H2 (39k miles). I replaced all brake components except for the master cylinder and parking brake pedal assembly. I do mean everything... brake lines and hoses, ABS controller/valve module, all calipers, all shoes and pads including parking brake shoes, parking brake cables, all parking brake assembly kit too. Everything operates smoothly, but I cannot get the parking brake to adjust up correctly.

When I follow the instructions above for the "low resistance" parking brake pedal assembly calibration, the park brakes will bind and drag even when released. With the rear wheels off Im not able to turn the rear hub by hand, it binds up. With the heavy wheels on I have enough leverage and inertia to turn them, but they are definitely dragging. Binds slightly more on the driver side even though I was careful to adjust both side shoes to spec. If I pull back on the front parking brake cable to free up tension from the pedal adjuster everything rolls smoothly, so I know there is nothing binding in the cables or rear assembly.

Ive been driving around like this. If I do need to use the parking brake to hold the truck on a hill I pump the park pedal three times to adjust it then leave it set. It does grab but doesnt really hold the truck. After I release it I put the truck to a flat area, get out, and reach under to pull the front cable loose again.

So in summary, the parking brakes are not holding the truck and they are not releasing correctly either.

Since everything is new and operating smoothly at the rear I am wondering if the parking brake pedal assembly auto adjust feature has failed. It seems these "low resistance" parking pedals are on the H2, Escalades, and few other top end GM truck models for only a few years around 2002-2005. I find no discussion of these having issues and I see the part number being discontinued for OEM and no aftermarket part. I see only on ebay. So doesnt seem that these are prone to failure.

Appreciate if any experienced Tech can offer ideas.

Thanks!!