For People Who Have Experienced Head/Valve Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Default RE: For People Who Have Experienced Head/Valve Problems

ORIGINAL: LawWyfe

THANKS Guys for the info! I guess whether or not it came with synthetic oil is a mute point now since I had it changed (supposedly)while the repair was done. OK so what did they replace it with? That is still an important issue I guess..bottom line is I will do regular oil changes!
Hey Sarah ....Usually you have to specify that you want synthetic oil when they do the oil change. Most of the time they will charge you a little extra because synthetic oil costs more. If you don't tell them they will just use the regular oil.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:46 PM

my 06 had the head replaced at 19988 miles
changed the oil every 3k

i will change (welldealer will change)the oil every 3k on the 07 also
always have always will
the dealer charges 30 bucks here in memphis and they wash it too
and every 4th change is free
and they feed ya hotdogs and coke while ya wait
cant beat that with a stick

Old 02-06-2007, 09:24 AM

I have had my H3 for close to a year now. Purchased end of Feb. 2006 and have just over 19,000 miles on it and have yet to throw an error code. I check with a buddy in the parts dept. of my Hummer dealership and he told me that my VIN# was within the block that was having head problems. Just awaiting my turn I guess.
My buddy also told me that he and his wife both have H3's and both have had to have the heads replaced. BTW, I also run Mobil 1 and change every 5k miles.
The bigest concern about the head/valve issue is that I have made at least 3 trips from Texas to Colorado (approx.1.8k miles round trip) and plan more,and that last thing I would want to happen is for the truck to crapp out in the middle of the New Mexico badlands.
Could I possible request the 10yr / 100k mile extended warranty without haveing experienced these issues since my VIN# falls in the group?

Old 02-06-2007, 11:18 AM

I don't blame you for your uneasiness there with all that traveling. Apparently the issue effects some differently. Mine occurred while I was on a 2000 mile trip, and I was able to drive 1000+ miles back home and to the dealer with no problems (other than very rough idle.)

You could try to request the warranty but I doubt you would have much luck with it UNTIL you have a problem. I had aheck of a time getting them to extend mine, but then I've been fighting them since November. Last word, they agreed much more readily, HOWEVER, I have yet to get that letter from GM.And as of yesterday, my service writer says the system does NOT indicate any warranty changes for me. (SO back to the phone I go!)

So for those of you who got satisfaction quickly and easily....until you have that letter in your hands, it isn't written in stone -so keep your eyes out for it!

Old 02-06-2007, 11:37 AM

had head changed at 12,600 miles. changed to synthetic @ 3k miles.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:00 PM

Dealer told me there is no need to run synthetic oil in H3s and to go about 8k miles before change.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:19 PM

ORIGINAL: FordTruck

Dealer told me there is no need to run synthetic oil in H3s and to go about 8k miles before change.
No, there is no need to use synthetic oil. It is a matter of personal opinion and preference as to what one chooses to use oilwise. My dealer told me I could wait until the change oil light comes on which is typically (according to him) between 12,000 -15,000 miles. After reading many posts here with regard to regular vs. synthetic oil, MY preference is to go synthetic for various reasons. (That and the fact that we run synthetic thru the vette as well and like how it runs.) I for sure don't want all the breakdown crud running thru my engine for that period of time/mileage!The guyshere have taught me well!

Old 05-01-2008, 09:22 AM

hey guys ,

brought mine from a hummer dealer used .....2006 h3 24,000....

My question /??????? Can I start putting synthetic oil in it at my next oil change???

Will it hurt anything if I start running now??

I ran my f150 after 12,000 miles (bought used)..it ran great .....105000 miles later....

just wondering???

Thanks

John

Old 05-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Yes you can. There are a bunch of synthetic oil threads, please search them and enjoy.

[sm=lockeddance.gif]I am locking this old thread for reading only. [sm=lockeddance.gif]