Head and valve issue

Old 09-27-2006, 06:47 PM
Default Head and valve issue

I purchased my 2006 H3 Oct 2005. Since then, it has been in the shop 12xs- for "Head and Cylinder" issues. I've had 2 head replacements already and its in the shop as I speak for possibly the 3rd head replacement. I am pursuing arbitration but already have a case with an attorney. Up to now I thought that I just had a "lemon" but as I continue to read these forums I realize its not just my vehicle and could possibly have a "class action" here. If anyone has anymore information,complaints,etc. Please email me
m_roper@bellsouth.net. Thanks

Last edited by Doc Olds; 04-02-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:37 PM
Default RE: HEAD AND VALVE ISSUE

Same problem here. 2 heads within 12k miles. but at least they are telling me the same thing they told me the first time. Which is I should be all set now. What a line of sh-t. Gm and my dealership have a nasty habit of not being upfront with there customers. I was told in Feb when I had my first repair that they had put in a redisigned head. Only to find out that the new design was not out till april. Another diturbing issue is that all the part numbers are exactly the same as the first repair. If they have redisigned any part wouldn.t you assign a new part number? Gm told me after I brought this to there attention that they do have a service bulletin out on the head change and specifically states no part number change. I have yet to see the bulletin. Should I have faith that a new head got in that vehicle. I don't know. But the bigger question is how do they know if part numbers are exactly the same. Also why would the labor be cut down to 8 hrs from 22 hrs if they haven't seen a bunch of these come in. I called four dealerships Dobles Manchester, Herb Chambers Mass, Long cadillac, ALL have said they have had dozens come in. Small sample big problem. Service manager at Herb Chambers actually told me that earlier than march they would recieve the same head and then send it out to be machined. Also he was told by GM to expect them back. Whether they have actually fixed the problem or not I truly do not know. But what I do know is that people are still having this problem. The guy who was in front of me in the rental car line was in for the same issue only his first repair came at 31k. so in my book No one is completely clear of this problem. in this post alone we have a grand six heads that proves this is more than just random.

Old 09-29-2006, 11:09 PM

Not to make less of your guy's problems..I feel for ya's

But I was at my dealer today and asked this very question...About if they've had any H3's in for head valve issues...The service manager told me straight in the eye that they have had not one single H3 in for that problem..Although he was aware of a rash of them out East...Maybe a trend to that...But my dealership has sold over 1000 H3's since they started getting them spring of 05.

Old 09-29-2006, 11:24 PM

Hi Dennis, Have you seen any service bulletin that states new designed head with no part # change. This is what my service manager is telling me . He also gave me a date on this of 4-1-06. I cannot find it anywhere. Why no part # change? Why find a shorter labor time if there is only a few. Also I heard they do not have to drop the oil pan for this repair. This all just seems odd. GM swears up and dowm that there is nothing wrong with the head and the problem is rare. If so why redisign the part? I personally have gone to the better business bureau on this but I have also put in a complaint to the fed trade commision and nhtsa. All i want is a straight answer. I would absolutely love to talk to you on a land line. you have alot of knowledge and maybe you could help me understand just who and what is going on here.

Thank you
Barry

Old 09-30-2006, 11:57 PM

the head problem was due to a bad valve guide casting. The part number is still the same cause it's the same part, just is bieng cast differently now. BTW...didn't you post this question on another forum and got an answer there...why post it over here to? Honestly if it is the head issue it would be the soft valve guide issue that was fixed in March, if you have had two head replacements then your dealer must still be using heads made from before the March fix was made. Also the head issue would take a good amount of miles for the soft valve guides to wear to the point that it would cause problems...don't see how you have gone through 3 already.

Old 10-01-2006, 04:55 AM

That's a question I wish I could answer. I can only go by what I am told by GM. GM told me the head was a new design. I personally have heard that it was the valve guides. GM also told me there is a bulletin that states head has new design part change not needed. If you would like to look up this bulletin they told me it came out on 4-1-06. Maybe if you had this problem you would not be as skeptical as I am.

Old 10-01-2006, 05:00 AM

If it is the valve guides , without a part number change how does anyone know what is old and new? If they do know why would they put the old castings in. Makes no sense.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:34 AM

thanks for the reply...It's quite ironic that we have been told the same exact thing but still can not get a straight answer. I picked up my h3 monday before last, after they kept it for 2 weeks..said they had to make an "adjustment" on the 2nd headreplacement. I had it 3 hours and my check engine light was back on, it was very sluggish..etc. I brought it back on Tuesday, they said a vacuum hose was loose, picked it up on Wed., drove it almost home and the check engine light came on again with the same symptoms, but this time I drove it straight to an attorney. My H3 has been in shop now over 12 times with "head, valve, cylinder" issues. After speaking with an attorney we decided to pursue arbitration before we go ahead and sue them. We have more than enough for the "Lemon Law" to kick in. This attorney is drooling for this case. For someone to say its happening only on the "east" is terribly wrong. We are in New Orleans and our dealership alone has seen more than they wish of this same issue. I'm going to see what they have to offer and if not then I'll go from there....along with anyone else who wants to join in. We have also been told that ALL 2006 H3's will at some point have to replace theirs. It does make since about the mileage thing though. I have 30,000 miles already on mine. Well, I'll keep you updated on any information I get and hope you'll do the same.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Who told you that all 2006 H3's will eventually have this problem? If this is true, that is really troublesome to me. I already have 21k miles on my H3 after about a year, and have had absolutely no engine problems, even after switching back and forth between 93 and 87 octane a few times. You should definitely keep us posted as to what happens. If somebody from GM told you they will ALL go bad eventually, that is a HUGE deal. That should be grounds for a recall. Thanks for letting us know the details.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:55 PM

I am also persuing this. Since GM will not step up to the plate I have put in claims not only to the BBB, But also FEd trade commision and the national highway and safety commision. As for the latter 2 The only thing I will get from them is maybe some research on this issue to prove that the issue is more widespread than GM is willing to admit. I still can"t understand why A valve guide would be changed or cast different as someone stated on this thread and not change the part number. Regardless of it being the same part who really knows what is going in your vehicle. Just be aware of this. It may seem as though this problem occurs within a cetain mileage but I have actually talked with more than a couple of people over the 30,000 mark that have come in for the first repair of the head. Which also poses another question. If the story they are telling me is true, and the early builds and heads with the valve guides before 4-1-06. Which they are telling me is the problem not a few bad heads. Every vehicle with these valve heads will most likely fail down the line. So why isn't GM stepping up with a recall for all early build dates and replacing those valve guides. Instead they are waiting for them to fail. And hoping maybe some will last past the factory warranty then the repair is on you. They have admitted to the Valve guide problem with these early builds. NOT A BAD BUNCH OF HEADS!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Head and valve issue