Head and valve issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: HEAD AND VALVE ISSUE

If the story they are telling me is true, and the early builds and heads with the valve guides before 4-1-06. Which they are telling me is the problem not a few bad heads. Every vehicle with these valve heads will most likely fail down the line. So why isn't GM stepping up with a recall for all early build dates and replacing those valve guides.
So, who are THEY? Are THEY the dealer mechanics, the managers, or customer service reps from GM? My build date is in 8-05 so I should be OK, but I'm worried about the rest of them. You are right. It's not fair if there is a known problem that may not be caught until after the warranty is void.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:13 PM

For the most part, it seems recalls are issued when the problem poses a threat to a persons safety. Since this isn't really a problem that poses as a threat to personal safety, I wouldn't be surprised if there was no recall ever issued and it is just left as a TSB. Since recalls are the result of a lawsuit, the only way I see this being a recall is if a class action suit is filed against them for something. But if they are providing you with replacement vehicles for free and also doing the service for free, they seem to have thier bases covered on a law suit unless you decided to sue for the emotional strife they have caused you due to hummer separation...

Old 10-04-2006, 05:18 PM

First of all it is a safety issue. At least I was told that when I called the national highway and safety department. Secondly I am being told by GM and my service manager. They have both stated the same thing. Of course this is after I pose the question and GM contacts the service manager to get the story straight. Then they are both in agreement. It is quite amusing that no one new there was a new part without a different part number until I brought it up. Now all of a sudden there is a service bulletin out on it that states just that. Funny that it has been out so long and my service manager did not know about it. I just spoke with my service manager yesterday to get the bulletin # so I could confirm this. the Doc# is 1845907. and is dated 7-6-06.
It states that as of 4-1-06 The new heads will have harder valve seats and also states no new part #. I personally have yet to see this. I will investigate it but if there is anyone on this forum who could pull this up I would appreciate this. Then there is the question of, if updated 4-1 why bulletin it at 7-6? also if you bulletin and change the seats on 4-1 aren't you saying that before that build date you are likely to have an issue at some point. Now the question is , is the fix a true fix? Only time will tell if they have corrected the problem and you guys and gals will be the first to know if someone's build date is after 4-1 and has the same problem. My first fix was in Feb the second in Sept. So if they are telling me the truth I shuold not have a problem. But i did hear that I had a new design head after the first repair and have no reason to believe them on the second. Just seems really fishy to me. My service manager states that on the first repair tecnical assistance told him it was a redisigned head and this is why it took so long to get the parts. First repair took 2 weeks. second took 4 days. If they would be upfront with me and told me that they were having a problem when I first had it in i would have understood. Instead they tell me I got a new designed head (Which did not exist ) and I should not have any problems. Same thing they are telling me on the second repair. You tell me why I should believe him or GM. Personally I think GM is downplaying the problem and are putting the same heads in the vehicle and hope they will last. GM does not want this problem to get out of hand. As I have stated previously, I have called 4 other dealerships and all state they have had at least 16 back for this problem. Suddenly this number per sold at dealership is not as small as it seems. There is no doubt that as time goes on you will see more and more of this happening until GM owns up to it and takes the cars before they get to that point. For them it is all about the mighty dollar. they could care less about customer loyalty. You Won't see me or my family buy another GM product. Not because of Vehicle. I know that S--t happens, but because of them not being truthful and doing what is right for there customer.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:32 PM

Add me to the list... 5 week old H3 been back to service as many times.... finally was told today the latest issue is the Valve & Cylinder issue...

According to service, mine is the 4th H3 to be done...

God I miss my Land Rover....it is scary when a Land Rover is more reliable than my H3...

Beachman

Old 11-06-2006, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: beachman

Add me to the list... 5 week old H3 been back to service as many times.... finally was told today the latest issue is the Valve & Cylinder issue...

According to service, mine is the 4th H3 to be done...

God I miss my Land Rover....it is scary when a Land Rover is more reliable than my H3...

Beachman
Hey Beachmam; what were your symptoms that made you bring it in? What was the H3 doing, or sounding like?

Old 11-06-2006, 06:10 PM

Check engine light first... then sluggish... then at stop/park, the idle was awful... this all within a span of two days.

It has been in twice for 4 wheel drive failures and once for stability errors...

The service department has been cool, they are sending someone to get it and bringing it back to me when it is fixed...really can't complain, except that I want to drive it...

Old 11-06-2006, 09:26 PM

I talked to the sevice tech guys at the off road event, while we were eating lunch. they said they have each done several of the following: heads, rear diffs, front diffs, 4wd actuator motors.

I figure it's only a matter of time before some of which will need to be done to our H3, given the law of averages. However, I do hope that it solves the issue for good. I'm willing to endure a little to keep the H3. I like it so far, and if I can get through any tough spots, I'd like to end up on the other side with a reliable vehicle, that I enjoy.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:48 PM

Just so we keep the faith...I called my dealer friend and asked him again if he's seen any head issues yet?..NOPE!..And I'm glad to hear that too..I know this guy really well BECAUSE of my ex-Land Rover and we take in a NASCAR event every once in a while in Dallas/Ft Worth too....So I know he's not blowin smoke up my skirt...

Anyway, I had to mention this, because the same issue is still going on with these engines scattered about, but not everywhere..I really feel for you guys with these annoying problems and hopefully they'll be fixed right and soon..Thank goodness for the warranty...Also remember, 3 times for the same problem, it automatically turns yellow.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:18 PM

Hi Gang-

I am new here - and I hate for my first post to be about this issue - but I figured I'd better chime in. Two weeks ago, at about 6900 miles, our H3 began to exhibit the symptoms others have described in this thread. Sluggish, very rough cold starts and rough idle - along with a check engine light.

Checked the owners' manual - and I chalked up the warning to a bad tank of gas (we were on a road trip and I used a different brand from what I normally used). Ran through that tank and filled it up again with the usual brand, check engine light went off - but rough running continued. Next day, the check engine light went back on - and it flashed a few times at stoplights. Figured it was not the gas - and it was time to bring it in. Called Onstar diagnostics and started laughing. The operator tells me I need to stop driving the vehicle immediately and have it towed to the nearest dealer. Report they had was an engine misfire condition. Finally got it into the dealer and...

Sure enough - head and valve issue -- along with cams that had surface rust / pitting on them -- along with a bad timing chain tensioner. On a vehicle with 6900 miles? Build date was 03/06.

Parts needed to be ordered - truck was in the shop for two weeks and I just got it back tonight. Seems to running OK - and no leaks at this point - which they told me to watch for. Will continue to keep an eye on it. To the dealer's credit - they (at least seem) to be straight about everything, provided another H3 as a loaner vehicle, etc. Service director at dealership stated that between their two dealerships in the Minneapolis / St. Paul area they have done 30 of these repairs on 2006 H3s.

Time will tell - but this was really disappointing. First GM vehicle we've owned - and candidly we love the truck - but this was a real bummer. Will keep you posted on the progress - and if something else happens. This business I'm reading of multiple heads being replaced is really concerning.

My wife and I couldn't do much except laugh about this and shake our heads. When we purchased, we were deciding between the H3 and a Toyota FJ Cruiser. Truly sad, but now we're questioning if we made the right choice. We really like the H3, but have lost a lot of confidence in the vehicle at this point.

Thanks - and I look forward to contributing to the forum - hopefully on more positive topics. Bottom line is this issue appears to not be isolated to a particular region - and is pretty prominent up in the midwest.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:53 AM
z

Put me on the list. Just over 30k. What was the lawyer’s name? I will take mine in tomorrow and see what they tell me. My engine light is on and engine idles rough.

Quick Reply: Head and valve issue