For People Who Have Experienced Head/Valve Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 12:12 AM
Default For People Who Have Experienced Head/Valve Problems

Of those of you that have experienced head/valve problems, How many of you were consistently using synthetic oil? What was the mileage on your H3 at the time these issues manifested?

Old 02-05-2007, 12:16 AM
Default RE: For People Who Have Experienced Head/Valve Problems

And at what intervals did you change oil?...Good Question Dogg..I was wondering the same thing.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:27 AM

Me too Dennis. I use Mobil 1 synthetic every 3k miles. My H3 is not my primary transportation it's more of a rec/trip vehicle for me, so it doesn't have a lot of miles on it. I'm concerned that the warranty will run out and thenthe head/valve issue will start. You know that Murphy and his laws are a SOB![>:]

Old 02-05-2007, 12:37 AM

That's exactly what I'm thinking..I have 10,000 miles and changed oil at 1000 miles, then at 5000 miles and at 10,000 miles (Castrol Syntec)..I guess you and I are thinking the same thing..will synthetic oil save us from the valve issue? I've always said..I hope if I have the problem, that it rears it's ugly head sooner and not later.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:56 AM

Synthetic oil here which it of course came with. Head/valve replacement at 6,000 miles, (which dashes your theory perhaps)- oil had not yet been changed since the dealer had told me it wasn't necessary until at least 12,000. I requested that it be changed while it was there for the repairs and it was supposedly (yet they did not reset the oil life button like I requested they do.) After reading the posts on synthetic oil and changes, I will change much more often than what the manual recs.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:01 AM

The head went bad at less than 5000 miles. The oil was the same that came with the car from factory, so I assume it was synthetic. However, I use synthetic oil on my Benz and I used to use it on the H2, andnever had a problem. IMHO, the head went back because it was a bad head. If it had to do with the oil, you'd see cars all over America needing head jobs. Of course, that's just opinion...

FDT

Old 02-05-2007, 02:11 AM

Hey Lefty..

No, the car comes from the factory with petrol based oil....But I'm sure you're right though, that oil ain't gonna matter what kind it is,when it comes to the head crapping out..

Old 02-05-2007, 10:09 AM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Hey Lefty..

No, the car comes from the factory with petrol based oil....But I'm sure you're right though, that oil ain't gonna matter what kind it is,when it comes to the head crapping out..
Denny, I was told when I purchased mine that it had/came with synthetic oil...(It had 5 miles on it and was brand spankin new off the production line according to the date)...so what's the deal there? Also I was of the impression that once syn oil was used, one had (should)to continue to use it unless it was cleaned out/prepared/or whatever ya do -to start using regular oil? Do enlighten my "female non-mechanic mind" here please

Old 02-05-2007, 10:32 AM

I'm Sorry Sarah...whoever told you that it was factory oiled with Synthetic was blowing smoke up your skirt....It is a petrol-based.

But true on the one part, that once you start using Synthetic you should stay with it.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:53 AM

Ohhhh Denny, not to be a PITA, but I'm still perplexed here. If it comes withpetrol based oil, why do they tell a person that they can go 12K miles before oil change and what about the "oil life remaining" report from OnStar? If this is not accurate info, it really chaps my hide that I could have potentially gone wayyy too long without doing an oil change on what I thought was syn oil but was really petrol. Fortunately, I have always been one who was faithful about regular oil changes and I felt very uneasy about waiting the 12K which is WHY I instructed them to change it at the 6K mile mark while it was in for the repair. Then I find you guys here and see that many of you DO change much sooner even with the syn oil. Of course I will continue with the syn oil and more frequent changes as Iunderstand the debris & yuck in the oil concept.

Quick Reply: For People Who Have Experienced Head/Valve Problems