Head and Valve Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 08:57 AM
Default RE: Head and Valve Issue

Just so everyone knows there is still a backorder on the cylinder heads. I just recieved one for a truck we had on order for approx. 3 weeks. This backorder situation may end at any time. GM does have extra work shiftson to correct this. You have to make sure they order the head with your VIN or it will cancel (they are not filling any stock orders). Steve

Old 01-26-2007, 10:56 AM

H3X442 or anyone else with accurate knowledge on this....question?? In light of the new backorder issue of these parts...leaves me wonderingabout a couplethings.

I had the head replacement issue in November (end of)...took them 1 week to replace mine with no problem getting parts. So my question is: Why the sudden lack of parts problem? Is it because the large numbers of H3's now having this problem are seemingly happening all at once lately? OR could it be that MINE was not replaced with the "new and improved" parts?

Old 01-26-2007, 11:55 AM

Wolfy..Any GM dealer or competent front end alighnment shop can do it..Dozens of people on this board have had it done with no problems after they've adjusted their T-bars...My dealer even offered to raise mine and do the alignment, like it's an every day occurrence.

Old 01-26-2007, 06:33 PM

Mine was the fourth at the dealership - a while ago, mine was in the next day and got my truck back in two...

My only word of advice.... Just make sure to call Hummer and get the extended warranty if you can, after the known head issue.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:25 AM

I don't know why all of a sudden the back order. We have not had a lot of trucks for this concern (less than 10) and the last three which cam all at once were back ordered. Originally you had to order a bare head,valves,springs,retainer and keepers and assemble yourself now the head comes all assembled. I am guessing they have to assemble the heads which requires more manpower they weren't prepared for. Just another thing this job only pays like 7.0 hours to do and if you make a mistake with the chains slipping (you then have to remove the front cover and oil pan to reset the timing)you have another 4.0 you won't get paid for. Just think of it as you went to work and worked the whole day but got paid for only a 1/2 day. I will say that it is possible to make that up on other jobs that pay more than you have in it. Steve

Old 01-27-2007, 11:41 AM

ORIGINAL: H3X442

Just think of it as you went to work and worked the whole day but got paid for only a 1/2 day. I will say that it is possible to make that up on other jobs that pay more than you have in it. Steve
1st off no disrespect meant to YOU by any means, so don't beat me up LOL[&o]...but...this might explain why I don't usually take my vehicles to a dealer for repair after warranty has expired...I should pay for some "makeup time" for someone else's repair on my bill??? (Yes, I realize Chilton or whomever it is these days deems a certain amount of time per repair, BUT if the alloted time is an hour and it's completed in 30 mins...I should pay for the extra??) Or did I "interpret" this comment incorrectly? (This and examples like taking the vette to the chevy dealer and being told it needs $2500.00 worth of transmission & sensor work coincidentally right after the warranty expired and then taking it to a private corvette mechanic who said BS, it needs a new seal gasket thingy for very few $ and it has run like a dream <and no more trans fluid on garage floor>for 2 years since repair!)

Old 01-27-2007, 01:36 PM

No disrespect taken and this is the part of my job that drives me crazy at times. But there has to be some sort of way to estimate jobs. Some guys work really fast and some are slow(with the same training). It would not be fair to charge someone more because he got the slower tech. just like it is not fair to pay the faster tech less because he gets it done faster. I don't know how the independent shops do it with all the different cars/trucks there is now. On the flip side I have seen independent shops spend 100's of dollars trying fix a car and then bring it to my shop and I fix it in a hour because I know the car. This could be debated for many pages on this thread but there need to be a better system (Which I can't come up with) before the bad feelings will stop. You did interpret correctly. Steve

Old 07-20-2007, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

I have looked throughout the other threads and could not find the error code that the engine produces. Yesterday I got the light and the code is P0106 which says "MAP/BARO CKT Range/Perf". In doing more research I found the full explanation which is "P0106 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance"

I could have sworn this was the error code people got before and/or when the head and valve problem occured. Can anybody find it or tell me what the check engine OBDII code is that is a result of the head and valve problem? I have honestly looked through all the threads and I'm probably just missing it but I can't find it. Thanks!

Old 07-24-2007, 11:16 AM

You didn't search very good...now did you?

https://www.hummerforums.com/m_27336..._4/key_/tm.htm

Old 07-24-2007, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Why thank you. It was my MAP sensor which has to be replaced. I'm still waiting to get it back. HOPEFULLY I'll get to pick it up this afternoon.

Quick Reply: Head and Valve Issue