Head and Valve Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Default RE: Head and Valve Issue

The valve issue tripped the computer light at about 11k. Do I seek the extended warranty as a demand from the dealer or Hummer. I'm thinking about writing to Hummer about the experience, not to complain, but to let them know about it. Other than this (which is major) I haven't had any problems. I really love the truck otherwise and am a Jeep convert. My Liberty had the ball joint failure problem (what luck, huh?) and the wheel fell off in a parking garage in 2004. I hope Hummer plans to get reimbursed from the valve supplier. Are there other problems I should know about?

Old 04-16-2006, 11:18 PM

Since it is the same engine and problem as the Colorados are having, can it be fixed under warranty by a GM dealer or does it have to be done by a Hummer dealer?

Old 04-19-2006, 08:46 PM

Hi Everyone, remember me? Of course, I was one of the lucky ones with the Valve/Head problem! (not literally) (chuckle) Well, GM agreed to reimburse me for my rental car so I could drive to Florida (to the tune of about $650). Next, as soon as I got back, the shop had the Hummer in to replace the head and all valves - labor alone was charged to GM at a tune of about $1500 and then with parts and all that, it came to just under $4,000 on my invoice! Expensive Fix!

The fix only took one whole day and a half and I received a loaner that is also being billed to GM. The reimbursement is coming straight from GM. The fix came from my dealership (where I bought the vehicle). Also, GM is working on trying to get an extended warranty to 7 years and 100,000 miles. Of course, little did I know, when I purchased the warranty at the time of initial vehicle purchase, it wasn't a GM product. Therefore, the GM case manager is looking into what we can do about this. If the warranty I have is superior to GM's, GM will extend the warranty under "their" coverage at the completion of my current one. If the one I have is not superior, they are going to contact the dealership and see what they can work out.

I will keep you posted on that end...unless anyone else has anything to share from their own personal experience on that one? Dennis?

Right now, I have just over 6100 miles on the vehicle...so far, following the fix, it is running smoothly and seems great. I am a little "leery" of the vehicle now and it will probably take another 6100 miles to build back up my confidence but I enjoy driving the Hummer and don't even know I am driving it until I get all the 'stares' from other people - - chuckle...and I say, "Why are they staring at me?" and then remember I am driving the BEAST! (LOL)

Okay, just wanted to share since this seems to continue to be a hot topic,
Keep you posted!
H3gal

Old 04-19-2006, 10:07 PM

Hey Girlfriend!

That is good to hear about the fix..So don't worry, like I told you before..The fix is sound and the engine should last without any related problems to well over a 100,000 miles...So keep on truckin in the beasty...Do Like I do..When I pull away from a stop sign or light, I always just ease on out and through the intersection..Giving all the traffic a chance to drool over my ride..All the while thinking to myself..."That's right suckers, I'm Bad, uh huh, I'm Bad[sm=shades.gif]

Stay in touch!

Old 04-20-2006, 04:44 PM

Hi, I have an 06 Colorado with the 3.5 and was wondering if any of you with the head problem could post the build date (date on the sticker in the drivers door) of your H3. I am curious to see if there is a trend. I have heard of this on coloradofans.com, but not with any 06's most are 04's that had problems with week exhaust valve springs.

Old 04-20-2006, 07:31 PM

Well i own myH3 and ur right about the ingine light appearing it happen to me yesturday and yes the hummer dealer are replaceing the engine header it is a known issue due to fact the it is a five header ingine and there having a problem getting the new replacement and trust me it is going to happen to every H3 HUMMER OUT THERE.... it is a recall but there not pushing the issue until the **** happen to you....I told them i dont want the Hummer to give me back my money espeacially that i paid it off all in one shot and this should not being happening at all the for a NEW TRUCK.. The Hummer has way under 7,ooo mileage you feel me.....
So for everyone out there who want to go buy Hummer H3 thinking about twice......

I am very serously disappointed

Old 04-20-2006, 09:30 PM

Sounds to me like you're a little pissed, along with irrational, Just because your dealer said it is a model wide epidemic ...Well it ain't...And there is no covert recall, that's BS...There is however, a small number of them from a specific batch of bad heads and unfortunately you're one of them. The Dealer (different State) I bought mine from, has sold over 1500 H3s since they came out last spring..They have had 2 return with this valve/head problem...My local Dealer has sold about 900 H3s and has had not one return with this head problem...These H3s that are infected, were also disbursed accross the country, so they are showing up here and there...But I can assure you they are not ALL infected...The ones that have already been fixed, have had no reports of return issues with it..so it's generally a good fix...GM will make sure their precious HUMMER name is not tarnished...So if it's a good fix and under warranty I have no worries...Love my ride more everyday.

Old 04-21-2006, 10:43 AM

Wow!! Yikes! Someone isn't happy....certainly understandable though...but relax, S&^% happens!

Dennis, by the way, GM called me yesterday afternoon and they started going on about the current warranty I have and laddee-daddee-daddee and then offer to give me ONE truck payment. I am like, "What happened with the 100,000 mile/7 year warranty?" and they said, "Oh, we can do that, is that what you want?" And so I am like, "Yah" - so they are sending me out a letter today. What do you make of that nonsense?? Should I have told them I wanted BOTH the truck payment AS WELL AS the warranty? chuckle...

Just wanted to see what you thought.

Oh, and my truck build date on the driver side door says "10/05"....I don't have and cannot figure out the exact day.

Let me know what you think!
Talk soon!
H3gal

Old 04-21-2006, 01:54 PM

Hey Girl..Sounds like you're a happy camper again..rightfully so too..

Didn't I tell you GM would come through?..I'm so gald in your case too..

That's pretty funny that they first tried low balling you with (we'll make a car payment for you...duh!) LOL!

But heck, if they quickly reversed and offered the extended warranty to you instead, you are more than money ahead in the long run[sm=smiley20.gif]..I'll be willing to bet though, you'll never need it either as the rest of truck is pretty solid..

Happy tails my dear and stay tuned here...We need a lively spirit like you to cheer this place up once in a while[sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 04-21-2006, 08:21 PM

Well guys i have to say that i did get H3 today and it is running a whole lot better come to find out when they were building this truck some moisture got in where the spark plugs sit in so they clean it all up and they replace everything else that caused all the problem...i have to say i still love my baby monster H3 ......
"I WILL KEEP MY EYES ON THE LOOK OUT FOR ANY MORE PROBLEMS"

Quick Reply: Head and Valve Issue