H3 Oil Change with Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:26 AM
Default RE: H3 Oil Change with Pictures

6 is what i do

Old 12-09-2008, 09:40 PM

I'm glad I found this. I used to change the oil on the ex's Tahoe all the time. I slid underneath the H3 and saw the skid plates and I was like "I think I'll let the dealership handle this one".

Old 12-11-2008, 09:04 PM

I decided to put the 35k mile AMSOIL SSO oil and a 25k mileEa filter in this weekend and changed it myself. The local AMSOIL dealer had a lube shop that would do it for $15 and $2.50 disposal fee but I decided to recruit my dad and do it. WHAT A MESS it makes! Good thing we did it in the street instead of the driveway or mom would have killed us both! I'm sure we had something to do with it, but it splashed hitting those cross members. I won't drive that many miles in a yearand even if the filter is rated at 25k miles or 1 year... I still feel funny about that and will probably change it in July.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:32 AM

I just changed my oil today and had no mess, not one drip on the concrete....wierd...

Old 02-01-2009, 06:23 AM
Default Whoa~!!!

They make 35,000 mile oil and 25,000 filter~!!!

Is this synthetic?

What is the most highly recommended oil?

Old 02-01-2009, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Lashrac Sigil
They make 35,000 mile oil and 25,000 filter~!!!

Is this synthetic?

What is the most highly recommended oil?

I run the Amsoil Signature Series 0w-30 in all my vehicles including my H2 and H3 Alpha. Great for cold starts and longterm protection.

http://www.modernoils.com/motoroil.html

You can get an Amsoil catalog HERE for free. http://www.amsoil.com/amsoillogin/leads.aspx?zo=1132530

Old 03-30-2009, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by rhill20
Adding this because I'm sure it will be the next question or the next step:

Remember to reset the oil life system whenever the oil and filter is changed.
1. Turn the ignition to RUN with the engine OFF.
2. Press and release the reset button in the driver information center (DIC) until the OIL LIFE message is displayed.
3. Once the alternating OIL LIFE and RESET messages appear on the DIC display, press and hold the reset stem until several beeps sound. This confirms the OIL LIFE system has been reset.
4. Turn the key to lock. If the CHANGE OIL message comes back on when you start the engine, the ENGINE OIL LIFE system has not reset. Repeat the procedure
what and where are reset button for DIC and the reset stem? Thanks.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:09 AM

The reset stem is the button you use to switch between your odometer and mileage counter.

All of the instructions up to this point are conducted with the engine turned off.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:27 PM

Just finished changing mine for the first time. Not bad at all. Took me about 45 minutes total. For the filter, I cut about a 10"x6" pc. of cardboard and as I loosened the filter it ran down the cardboard into the pan, no problem, no mess. Next time I'll have to do something similar for the drain plug, since it runs out all over the cross member.
I used Mobil 1 synthetic, 5W-30 and Fram filters. Total cost from WalMart was about $48, plus my 45 minutes of time.
Resetting the DIC Oil life monitor was as easy as pressing a button.
Pretty simple actually. On a scale from 1-10 of difficulty, I'd give this job a 2.5 to 3.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:28 PM
Banned
Default Thanks

ive been doing oil changes for 51 years but i was blind on the h3 with no manuals so this post wiyh pics was great.

i dropped the plates, wanted to see what was there anyway!!

now i know gm has this whizbang system for deciding when to change, and it could be MANY thousands more miles than i am comfortable with,

,so i think since i have many ways to "waste" money that the best way is to change often and i will stick to my old 3000 miles o and f.
its apx $15 bucks and cheap insurance.

i never used synthetic though and would like to hear more about ACTUAL experience and does it meet gm specs/ approval?? obviously im old fashioned but open to advice. mainly does it really do a better lube job?

and how long between changes?

im a believer in lots of good lube!!
tom
"red ryder"

red 07h3

Quick Reply: H3 Oil Change with Pictures