H3 Oil Change with Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Default RE: H3 Oil Change with Pictures

I couldn't even see the filter without removing the skid plate, so I don't think that's possible. Two other things I found out doing mine for the first time today.

1. When removing the drain plug, the oil shoots out a foot towards the tire so if you put the drain pain right underneath it, you'll miss a lot. I should have seen it coming since the plug is on the side, but I wasn't thinking and made a little mess.

2. When removing the old filter, the drain they attached to the frame works well, but I still got a lot of oil draining from the filter into the palm of myhand. I was wearing gloves so the oil didn't burn me, but it's something to be aware of if you were driving your car recently and the oil is still hot.

Otherwise it took me 30-45 minutes and some of that time was just finding the drain plug in the first place. The pictures here helped a lot though.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:28 AM

You have to take the skid plate off, and yes, I fit my hand up from underneath and got the oil filter. Motley is right about the oil though. lol Have a nice spot on the driveway now.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

I did it without removing the skid plates. If you stick your arm down past the power steering pump, you can reach the filter with no problem, at least in the '06 manual.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

I think you guys may have an automatic transmission pump or something down there blocking filter access. With mine, you can see it from the engine compartment and stick your hand right through the hole and take it out.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:06 AM

Yep, auto here

Old 06-09-2008, 01:51 AM

Too Much Work to save $29.99!!![8D]

Old 07-04-2008, 12:46 PM

Nice write up with pics.

I'll add one notation. Before installing the filter and dumping all of the motor oil into the engine, be sure to lube the inside of the oil filter with oil, and with as much as it will hold without spilling. In case if you're wondering why, I'll tell you. When the engine starts up, the oil must pass through the engine oil filter first before moving to the rest of the motor. If the oil filter is dry, this will actually increase the amount of time for the oil to be circulated to the rest of the motor, because the filter will have to first become lubricated enough to allow the oil to circulate through it. During this time, extra wear and stress is put on the motor. In the long run, this actually shortens the life of the motor. At least this is how I understand things based on my experience and research.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the good info., I have an 08 H3 with the 5.3L and I did my first oil change this last weekend. I didn't want to remove the skid plates if I didn't have to so after a good look underneath I took a look around the garage and found a paint tray (for a paint roller) and it worked great, I cut the feet off the shallow end so that it would slip between the crossmember and the oil pan and then I drilled a 1" hole in the corner of the deep sump end so it would drain into the bucket. The only thing that took a little extra time was holding the drain plug to regulate the oil coming out to make sure it all went into the paint tray, it also worked great for taking off the old filter, I never lost a drop, no mess to clean up.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:57 AM

I just did the oil change with 6 quarts of mobil-1 0-w30 oil and a fram tough guard filter. Only cost 30 bucks from walmart. The change took about 30 minutes, the biggest pain is puting the skid plates back on. I recomend this for everyone, ITS REALLY EASY

Old 11-05-2008, 08:30 PM

Ok, I did the change with 6 quarts of valvoline full synthetic, but when i read the dipstick, it is so clear that I can't tell if there is not enough oil, or the L-F indicator is completely covered. Ithink, and am concerened withitbeing covered, so I poured all the old oil back into the containers to see if 6 quarts came out. It looks like only 5 1/2 came out, but I also had a spill from the oil shooting out to the side when I took the drain plug out (i did not read the addition comments section, or i would have know that). It also doesn't help that I am doing this at night and my only source of light is a halogen construction light. Any thoughts on this causing any serious damage? The wife is leaving for work before the sun comes up, and if I tell her she can't drive it, she may run me over with it. J/k, but she does love it that much.

Quick Reply: H3 Oil Change with Pictures