Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

AVS rain guard vent shades

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 01:18 PM
Default AVS rain guard vent shades

I decided to remove my rain guards, well 1, the 3M tape is a bastage to get off. What product do you use to remove the leftover tape? I have adhesive remover and a heat gun but not working well. I am going to clean 1 and put back on, I think the H3 looks better with them on.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:10 AM

Best adhesive remover there is (I have been in the vinyl graphics business for 20 years so I deal with adhesive on vehicles for a living) - Xylol (xylene). its a solvent you can buy at Lowes but its a gallon can for about $20. It will not harm factory automotive paint. That being said it WILL damage plastics and certain other paints like the thin polyester paint on utility trailers, etc. and of course if you live in CA it will give you cancer.

On just the paint on your car its fine, any other surface test or just keep it off of any other surface. Its also amazing at dissolving grease, oil, etc.

For the small amount you need to remove it might not be worth the cost of a whole gallon though. Goo Gone and even the solvent I mentioned above, wet a rag or paper towel and keep the adhesive wet for a couple of minutes. That will soften it more and make it easier to scrape off. A plastic blade if ideal to reduce any chances of scratching the paint but I'm not sure where those are sold retail. We buy plastic razor blades wholesale by the box from our sign supply distributors.

Some of the black/grey foam VHB tapes can actually also be removed by carefully getting an edge started and at a slight angle stretch it and it might remove taking the adhesive with it. If its older that probably will not work though.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:14 PM

No, just the liberals out here are cancer! Lol, that’s another thread! I used some turtle wax adhesive remover I had for debadging, I dislike car badges, it worked well, just took longer on this application. Got it all cleaned and put back on. Is it just me that thinks these rain guards look good on the H3 or am I just getting older

Old 07-27-2018, 07:18 PM

Not sure on the 3. I did not like the AVS in channel ones on my 2. They stuck down too far in an already very short window opening. Could hardly even get a bag in at a drive thru without hitting them. Ended up getting some generic ones on eBay that are shorter, but flimsier. I guess I could look at some that stick on the outside instead of in channel too.

I remember on a 71 Nova I had back in the 80's, it had chrome metal ones. I have not seen any of the metal ones in years.