PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom part-painting advice for us amateurs

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator
Default Custom part-painting advice for us amateurs

The past year or so I've been experimenting with painting things. I started with my tube steps. So far, they are holding up quite well. I also started clear-coating everything I paint. That has also proved to be worth the time.

Last night I went to the parts store and picked up some Dupli-Color high-gloss acrylic auto paint. I've been using Dupli-Color paints for everything the past year and I am quite satisfied with the quality. They don't chip or crack, they spray on much smoother then other paints I've used and they haven't faded. I also use the Dupli-Color clear coat. Talk about fumes

ANYWHO, what is the major difference between Acrylic paint and Enamel paint? I can get a million different explanations off the internet but I want to hear from people that actually know from practical experience.

I choose the Acrylic for the hood panel because according to the can it resists cracking, chipping and peeling, which the enamel paints didn't state they do. It was also the only one that was considered high-gloss. I was always under the impression Acrylic was only for little home projects and enamels were stronger, but according to all of the cans and brands I was reading yesterday, Acrylic's seem to be better for harsh conditions.

The acrylic paint also seems to dry and smooth out much more evenly then the enamels do.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:16 AM
Default RE: Custom part-painting advice for us amateurs

Yeah....Mike, wish I could help buy.....Hey!!!!

Old 04-16-2008, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Bob. You are the only one that responded I can always count on you!

Old 04-16-2008, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

The hood panel came out AWESOME! That paint rocks. It looks like black chrome! I took the advice of the can and am letting it cure for 7 days before I do anything with it. After the first 24 hours it seemed to smooth itself out. I can see myself in it!

What do you think, paint the chrome vent covers to match, or leave them chrome? I was going to even maybe paint the front grill to match but I think the bugs and rocks from the road will knick it up too much and probably not take too long to ruin the paint job, unless I put 100 layers of clearcoat on it.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:56 PM

Anything for MIKEY!!!