PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to upgrade the rear camera

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 02:37 PM
Default How to upgrade the rear camera

In an ideal situation the rear camera would be above the license plate like the Escalade. But since we have a swing out carrier it's above the hitch and the visibility is useless. Not to mention it has no distance lines to help judge how close you are to things that you can see.

So has anyone come up with a better solution? I'd still like to see my hitch so I can use it to back up to the trailer as well. Is it possible to wire up a newer wider angle camera to the stock wiring?

Old 10-02-2015, 11:05 PM

I Don't think anyone else has gave it that much thought like you have! If you're that Un-Comfortable with it, i'd say just practice with it more, it's not as Bad as you think it is!

Old 10-02-2015, 11:50 PM

Mine is aftermarket, but it's on the top of the license plate on the swing out carrier and it has distance lines. I don't remember the model, but I'm sure there are plenty of similar options out there. Obviously I can't see the hitch.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by skeptic
Mine is aftermarket, but it's on the top of the license plate on the swing out carrier and it has distance lines. I don't remember the model, but I'm sure there are plenty of similar options out there. Obviously I can't see the hitch.
Were you able to tie your aftermarket into the factory wiring or did you have to run all your own wiring?

Old 10-03-2015, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by mulepic
Were you able to tie your aftermarket into the factory wiring or did you have to run all your own wiring?
Aftermarket everything. Camera, wiring and head unit. My H2 didn't come with a backup camera.

Just to be clear, I paid a shop to install everything. I can only tell you what, and take pics if you want, but I can't tell you how.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by mulepic
In an ideal situation the rear camera would be above the license plate ...?
Cameras are all very similar, usually NTSC video format and +12V operating in USA, pretty much interchangeable and cheap! The viewing angle is mainly down to the lens design and the low-light performance by the type of sensor used, generally speaking.

Just fitted an aftermarket Pioneer system with the backup camera mounted on the swing-out carrier just below the number-plate rather than above to avoid issues with the light and heat from the number-plate bulb.

The system generates the guidelines rather than the camera, there didn't seem to be any aftermarket cameras with self-generated guidelines available. The guidelines needed to be calibrated for distance and side zones limits using markers on the ground and since the view is from the rearmost extremity of the SUV it does provide great confidence when backing-up.

The position is not so good when hitched but still provides useful feedback about the trailers position.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by oceanbrave
... there didn't seem to be any aftermarket cameras with self-generated guidelines available....
Well I did manage to find
Clarion CC510

which has backup lines

Old 10-16-2015, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by oceanbrave
Well I did manage to find
Clarion CC510

which has backup lines
Just installed that same camera with the licence plate frame . Look my post ( will this camera setup works) if you wants to see photos or hiw to install

Great camera