PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, really dumb question...how to exit H3X driver seat?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 10:35 PM
Default Ok, really dumb question...how to exit H3X driver seat?

Have never encountered this with a vehicle before, but here we go.....

When I get out of the vehicle from the driver side seat on my H3X, my weight pops the left side plastic seat panel loose. This is the panel that contains/covers the seat adjustment and heated seat controls. When it pops loose, it ALWAYS bumps the seat heater into the upper position (high setting). I don't always want the seat heater on! lol.

I have popped the panel back in place several times. I have analyzed how I get out of the vehicle. I just kind of roll out. I have tried spinning 90 degrees, then stepping on the nerf bars. I still pop the panel loose.

BTW, I am 6' 1" and 225 pounds.

Considering trying to remove that panel. Don't know what else to do. This is crazy. Thoughts?

Old 12-16-2016, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

I am about the same size and frequently have the same issue. I just check to make sure the seat heater is turned off after I have sat down. Don't need it often in central Texas.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:54 PM

Take a sharp utility knife and carefully trim the opening in the panel above the switch. It doesn't require a lot of clearance so just trim a small amount at a time until the problem goes away. A Dremmel will work, but there is a risk of accidentally damaging the switch and it is easy to remove more material than necessary.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:19 PM

There was a thread sometime back that dealt with this issue. https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...-just-me-5541/
It required the addition of a screw to hold the panel in place, and somebody on the forum posted a pic of the screw location but I can't find it.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:54 AM

I posted the photo. I also removed the trim price and used a dremmel around the top of the opening for the seat heater switch.

I'll see if I can take a photo and post it. The dealership did the screw via a TSB from GM.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
I posted the photo. I also removed the trim price and used a dremmel around the top of the opening for the seat heater switch.

I'll see if I can take a photo and post it. The dealership did the screw via a TSB from GM.
Interesting. Mine has the screw, as well, and the heater doesn't turn on when entering/exiting the vehicle. I do remember seeing something about a TSB on it. Funny, when I started looking to buy an H3, the first one I test drove cooked my butt 'cuz the seat heater was on! Now I know why!

Old 12-19-2016, 01:28 PM

Found the TSB 2203598

Old 12-19-2016, 01:34 PM

Thanks! If you have a copy of that TSB and/or a pic, it would be much appreciated.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:57 AM

Did anybody ever get a chance to take a pic that shows where the dealer installed that extra screw on the side of the seat(s)? Thanks so much.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:30 PM

I ended up taking the fuse out. Accidental seat heater in July in Phx could be deadly!

Quick Reply: Ok, really dumb question...how to exit H3X driver seat?