Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Driving without Front Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 07:40 PM
Default Driving without Front Shaft

Hey guys. Wheeling this weekend and started hearing a steady clunk at low speed. Thought it was the half shaft cv joint but after I got her home, discovered the rear joint of the front shaft was toast. I removed the front shaft to get it repaired tomorrow and then wondered, can I drive it without the front shaft? Will the computer give me hell because it doesn't get a signal in the front diff? I was talking to my neighbor who used to have a jeep and he said that he used to drive that without the front shaft to increase his gas mileage. Just wondering. Thanks.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:55 PM

ya need to be in hi lock

Old 05-18-2015, 10:40 AM

If you did not change to 4hi lock before removal of the front prop shaft you will have to fool the computer by switching while the key is in the run position, do not start it.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
If you did not change to 4hi lock before removal of the front prop shaft you will have to fool the computer by switching while the key is in the run position, do not start it.
That would have been good info yesterday!

Old 05-19-2015, 05:44 PM

How did it run?

Old 12-08-2020, 01:00 AM

2006 H3. Currently have my front drive shaft removed, waiting for a replacement to come in.

Switched to HI lock while engine was off to "trick" the computer, no problem and all the power went to rear wheels. 100 feet down the road the transfer case disengages out of lock on it's own and it coasts to a stop with all power trying to go to the front which has no drive shaft. 4 Hi lock light stays on but for some reason lock does not stay engaged.

I repeat the 4 HI regular to 4 HI lock switch, same thing, 100 feet down the road it disengages out of lock and it coasts to a stop. I've read that guys have driven H3s without a front drive shaft in 4 HI Lock, what is it that is preventing my H3 from staying in 4 HI lock?

Next time I really need 4 HI lock I would like it to work, wondering what is failing and needs to be replaced, thanks!

Old 12-08-2020, 06:33 AM
Wink

Originally Posted by Engine09
2006 H3. Currently have my front drive shaft removed, waiting for a replacement to come in.

Switched to HI lock while engine was off to "trick" the computer, no problem and all the power went to rear wheels. 100 feet down the road the transfer case disengages out of lock on it's own and it coasts to a stop with all power trying to go to the front which has no drive shaft. 4 Hi lock light stays on but for some reason lock does not stay engaged.

I repeat the 4 HI regular to 4 HI lock switch, same thing, 100 feet down the road it disengages out of lock and it coasts to a stop. I've read that guys have driven H3s without a front drive shaft in 4 HI Lock, what is it that is preventing my H3 from staying in 4 HI lock?

Next time I really need 4 HI lock I would like it to work, wondering what is failing and needs to be replaced, thanks!
Good morning,
You are posting in a 5.5 year old thread. That's a No-No here.
Please start a new thread with the exact info above and include year and any other maintenance information you have done to the effected area.
You have a worn plastic shift fork in your transfer case most likely.

Old 12-08-2020, 10:57 AM

Just saw that sticky thread after you mentioned it, usually message boards get annoyed when too many new threads are started. I've been given **** on other boards for not using an existing thread where similar info is posted but I see what's prefered, point taken!