PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Ticking @ Start Up, Bad Lifter ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 03:24 PM
Default Loud Ticking @ Start Up, Bad Lifter ?

Hello,
I got a 2004 H2 that just hit 130,000 miles and has been babied since i bought her new in 04, now I'm starting to have some issues with her. after sitting overnight or when the motor gets cold after driving when i go to start her up she has a Loud Ticking, it started with just a few seconds and the ticking would go away, However now its getting worse! Now from a cold start up she ticks anywhere between 1-5 minutes until the motors at operating temperature/or oil get to the lifter. After the Ticking has stopped and i drive her and turn her off and do whatever i need to do and get ready to start her up again she has No ticking at all, unless its a few hours and the motor get cold again.
I believe its a Lifter thats losing its Prime after sitting ..... Her oil pressure is at its normal range and she runs great otherwise.... I've ran Mobil 1 10w-30 motor oil since day one and have done 95% of Maintenance and repairs myself on her, but i haven't had to bust into the motor for anything yet and i wanna be sure i know what the issue is and if there is something i can try before hand because i think ill take her into the dealer for motor repairs....

Has anyone ran into this problem before ?.. i bought some Lucas Full Synthetic Oil Stabilizer that everyone recommends and it also says it helps lifters keep its prime on the container, however i just changed the oil 500 Miles ago and wanted to get some feedback before i use the Lucas.

I also have a 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD with the 6.0 in her and she's is my ole reliable 243,000 miles Original Motor & Tranny on her and I've never had a single issue with her!...so i know these 6.0s are great reliable motors!

Any advice or Information i'd Highly Appreciate !...
Thanks

Old 09-25-2014, 06:09 PM

I'm going to bet it's not a lifter at all. Check your manifold bolts. I just got mine back from the garage. I had two broken off on both sides. And the passenger manifold actually had a 3" crack in it. I'm surprised your pick up hasn't had this issue as it is very common with all LS motors.

Especially when it quiets down when it reaches operating temp. A lifter would tick all the time.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:35 AM

Sounds like those manifold bolts. (Pun intended). I've had the ticking sound for awhile. I checked the bolts and sure enough I was missing a couple on both sides. I'm not worried about it, like you said it stops after the engine warms up. There was a thread awhile back on here where someone changed to stainless headers iirc and he had a part number for much stronger bolts that won't strech and eventually snap.

Last edited by Helga She Is Fine; 09-26-2014 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Typos galore
Old 09-26-2014, 07:10 PM

I let mine go for about a year. Was going to try it myself. But it was in the shop to get under oiled and some other fall maintenance and my mechanic just went at it. Which I'm glad as he had a hell of a time replacing the rotten dip stick. The passenger manifold also had a 3" crack.

From what I've read don't waste your money on headers as they won't perform any better than what you have.

ARP sells a stud kit. I would have went this way but my mechanic swears the dormans hold up well.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:03 PM

Thanks Madmayo for pointing out the exhaust Manifold. Sure enough the passenger side manifold has 2 cracks down it ! I'm Fine with that being the issue and not a lifter cuz I'll be able to do the work myself and save some money not taking it to the shop.

... I replaced the Exhaust bolts a few years back do to i had 3 broken off as well on both sides and of course the 2 closest to the firewall "Headache" I ended up replacing all of them when i had to extract the broken three.

Almost Everyone i know that has / had a 6.0 has had the issue of Broken Manifold Bolts. you would think they would of had some sort of recall on the bolts.

Luckily none of the Manifold bolts are broken "this time" However since i'll be replacing the Manifold i'll be using all new hardware since i'll be there already.

I found that Autozone carries a Dorman Exhaust Manifold for $160.00 and comes with a Lifetime Warranty so I'm thinking i may go down that route !

Thanks again for the Advice you guys ! I am So relieved that this should be the issue !

Old 09-27-2014, 10:19 AM

Take a good look at your dipstick. Chances are it's rotten from being so close to the manifold. Hot cold hot cold. Prepare for a battle of it is.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:01 AM

had same issue, the stock manifold bolts have 10mm heads and they do pop off. solution 13mm headed bolts. its one of those "shouldve been a recall" things but never happened.