PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS/ Traction control lights keep coming on

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 05:29 AM
Default ABS/ Traction control lights keep coming on

I have a 2003 H2 and when I make sharp turns the ABS and Traction control ligthts come on. I took it to the dealer,they hooked it up to a comp and found nothing wrong. What would be causing this?

Old 05-04-2011, 05:50 PM

Bad hub?

Old 05-11-2011, 05:42 AM

I'm guessing you would need to have them riding with you with a comp plugged into OBD2 port and have the failure occur in order for them to gather any data.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:34 PM

Took the Hummer in and did what you said and they found it was a speed sensor malfunctioning and are putting a new one in later this week.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:11 AM

Sweet. That's good news. Glad it worked out.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:50 PM

Hi. Having same issue. When test driving vehicle, 2004 H2, ABS / TC lights came on.

Dealer replaced left front speed sensor. Replaced speedometer unit also because RPMs were pegging.

Bought vehicle after inspection. Couple months later, ABS /TC lights again. I pull right front tire, and find sensor cable is almost disintegrating. I fix / patch and problem goes away.

I order new sensor and replace right front, and problem is almost immediate. ABS / TC light comes on after driving 50 feet. Why would the 'new' sensor be worse than the old, patched one?

Old 08-18-2012, 03:58 PM

with reference to the post I just made, is this a resistance problem? Does system need be reset in some way to 'match' older sensor replaced by dealer with new sensor I just installed?

Old 08-19-2012, 10:18 PM

What gave you the conclusion the sensor was actually bad?

Old 08-21-2012, 12:51 PM
Default ABS TC Light

I admit this is all guess work on my part. When I turned the wheel sharply, the ABS / TC lights would light and the alert tone would 'ding'. This initially made me think it had to do with the front wheels.

I remember the dealer replacing the left front wheel speed sensor when I bought the vehicle because this light and tone would do the same thing while driving.

I checked the right front. It was very worn. I carefully opened the insulation, and I found that the wire was grey and brittle. I carefully repaired the wire, and the sequence of events stopped happening. In other words, I would start the vehicle and turn the wheel extremely left or right and the tone and lights would not occur. I 'guessed' it was the worn out left front sensor.

I replaced the left front sensor. I turned the wheel extremely left or right; no lights or tones. However, I drive approximately 30 feet and the abs / tc light lights up.

Now, I'm wondering if there is another sensor gone bad in the rear, or if the abs system needs resetting, or what ????

Very appreciative of any help.

Bill

2004 Hummer H2

Old 08-21-2012, 02:10 PM

You can disconnect the battery for a bit, but there isn't anythign that I know of to "reset".

Your dealing w/ 4 potential location failures. A scan tool would tell you which location (wheel) is triggering the fault.

Was the section of wire you repaired between the sensor and where the sensor wire plugs into the harness? If so, take no offence- but i'd question your patch job is allowing the proper values to be read. Did you use wire crimp connectors or soder?

I'd say replace that sensor, but those average about $140/each and I absolutly hate blindly replacing **** w/ out actual proof of failure. Thats your call. I'd start calling a few people see if you can find a buddy that has access to a scanner.

I'm curious if you have a lift on your ride? Alot of people half *** the install and just leave those wires hanging. Drill and tap a couple fasteners on each wheel eliminates untimely demise of those cables from hanging/rubbing/snagging.